I'm in hot water

aaronvan

Cadet
Hi everyone,I'm new here and would like to pick your brain's!
I reciently bought a '85 evinrude 9.9.I am having a few problems with it.First the water comming out from the large pee hole in the center of the leg directly below the motor is very hot,and the water coming from the motor cooling pee-hole is very weak(little more than a drip).I was under the impression that the hot water may be caused by a faulty impeller,but it has been changed right before I bought it.Although I am sceptical about this as the water spray's out instead of a steady stream.
Second,after steaming out to my favorite fishing spot,and killing the motor while I fish,when I start the motor again it wont stay running long enough to put it in gear to come home?Is this a carb problem due to exess fuel filling the bowl and thus flooding?
Dont mean to ask such rookie question's but I keep getting 20 different awnsers when I ask the experts around here,ie the water is supposed to spray instead of a steady stream.
thanks
Aaron

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: I'm in hot water

aaron, if you can't hold you fingers on top of the engine near the head, for 3 to 4 seconds it is getting to hot, suspect the impeller and/or thermostat. you rstarting problem could be carb, heat, or fuel problem, pump bulb before you start to see if it makes a difference

aaronvan

Cadet

This is where things might get a little weird.The motor is not hot to the touch,a little warm but not hot.The leg on the other hand is very hot.
Is the water supposed to spray out or pour out in a steady stream?
Thanks for your help
Aaron

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

You will get the cooling water out, and it will be hot. No prob there. It will be just a slight spray, and the majority will go out the prop exhaust. On the pee hole, a lot of motors just have this as an indication that your pump is working fine. Its going to be cold, as its excess expelled before going through the motor. BUT that little bugger gets plugged up with sand, seaweed, crud. If you can get to it, do what ya can to clean it out, or stick a wire up there and shove it around.. The leg will get hot, as exhaust is going through it (ever stick your hand on a running car muffler?!). If the head is warm, your fine. On my 79 15hp big boat kicker, its a constant stream out the pee hole.
On the hard start, doubt its a heat issue. Try turning the idle up a touch. There might be a knob on the side for this, buy the gas hookup.. Its called a trolling knob I think. Kicks you RPM up for (duh) trolling...!
Post back with any results.

ratracer

Petty Officer 1st Class

You will probably see spray from the blow-hole on the back of the leg maybe 3 fingers-width below the powerhead, you may also see staining there from the oily exhaust which has built up over time. You should should aso get a good strong steady stream from the side pee-hole which is on the same side of the shifter, from idle all the way up to WOT.

If the stream from the pee-hole is no more than a drip either the passage is partially blocked or perhaps the impeller was improperly installed (or the PO fibbed about doing it). If there is any doubt about the impeller installation pick up an OEM service manual (search the forums for where to go) to help you tear it down and inspect. I would just pick up the service manual and install an entire new OEM pump assembly, you can get them for under $30 on eBay.

The idle adjustment on my '88 is at the tip of the tiller assembly, you rotate the small extension that the lanyard clips to, which adjusts the minimum throttle position on the twist assembly. Not sure if the '85s still used the knob near the fuel intake that Scaaty is talking about or if they had by then transitioned to what I've got on mine. Again, if necessary carburetor rebuild kits are pretty inexpensive and are readily available. The OEM manual is recommended and is much preferred to a Clymer or Seloc.

These are good strong reliable motors that can work hard for you if you take the time and effort to keep up with maintenance. Parts are still easy to find.