80 15 horse rude shifter connector bad ?

chevyredneck

Cadet
changed my impeeler and manged after 2 hours of trying to get the linkage lined up i stripped on screw on the coupler between upper and lower rods got back together ran and worked great one trip , last trip acted wierd like hung in dive at nuetral and rev is nuet took lower unit back down and readjusted now it dosnt want to line up . the connector top screw dosnt get tight anymore and the whole linkage seems loose , would a new couple correct this or is my gears going in my lower unit ? thanks

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 80 15 horse rude shifter connector bad ?

Moving the shift handle should result in the upper shift rod moving up and down with no lost motion or slop. From there, the connector has to be installed correctly, that is the screws have to go through the notches in the rods and be tight. Don't be worrying about the gears until you check out these simple things.

Hint: Before you even think about putting the screws into the connector, use a flashlight to peer in there and make sure the notches in the rods line up perfectly with the screw holes. If the screw drags on the edge of the notch it will strip the threads every time. It sounds like that is exactly why yours won't tighten.

DHPMARINE

Captain
Re: 80 15 horse rude shifter connector bad ?

Like F__R says above,But because of the cost of new gears,get a new connector and scews first.

Try it first.

DHP