Merc 888/898 (Merc 1 or Merc R outdrive?) anode question.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Is the bolt that hold the anode steering tab on supposed to come all the way out of the hole you put the allen wrench into? It seems that the bolt might have been installed before the upper and lower housings were mated. But maybe it is just a corrosion issue that keeps the bolt from being removed. I did not have any trouble unscrewing the tab but I would like to remove the bolt to run the threads over a wire wheel.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Merc 888/898 (Merc 1 or Merc R outdrive?) anode question.

Ayuh,.........

That's the Way they Work,.....................

The Bolt is put in place,...... Before the 1/2s are assembled.......

Alittle dab of Grease,+ put the anode back on......

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Gotcha bond-o. Thanks

ziggy

Admiral

when i got my 72 trisonic, a model I drive. i could take the bolt out of the hole. w/o seperatin the halfs. on my new old 75 aristocraft. w/ a model I drive. i can't take that bolt out. the hole is to small. the old 72 didn't have the plastic plug, the 75 does. lo and behold. i finally put 2 and 2 together. the 72 someone had bored the hole to allow the bolt to pass thru the hole from the outside. took me 3 years and a diffent boat to answer the question of why i couldn't find the right size plastic plug to plug up that hole.
there didn't seem to be any ramifications to that hole being drilled out larger other than i couldn't find a plug to fit it. though i have no plans on drillin my 75's hole larger, yet...