PMGR Starter Motor - Questions

shelikesit

Petty Officer 2nd Class
1993 Mercruiser 4.3
Went out today fine tuned my cleaning, hooked up the muffs and the bendix was spinning.

3 weeks ago when I got the boat all terminals came off and were cleaned and corrosion proofed. Everything to me is clean, very clean.

So what gives, take the starter out? I have another one to go back in.

It's a spinning bendix............... Where do I stand ya'll?

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner
Re: bad starter? spinning bendix......

Have it rebuilt.....JK

shelikesit

Petty Officer 2nd Class

alrighty, ill pull it and put in the other one while that one is being rebuilt. my utter one is marine also............. it's nice to have another 4.3 sitting there.

mkast

Lieutenant Commander

Load test before you install.

shelikesit

Petty Officer 2nd Class

id imagine that means hook a battery to it and watch it pop and spin. thanks if thats so, last time i used it, no problems, i may have just installed it.

thanks.

shelikesit

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks
everyone

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

I would say to take it to a rebuild place & let them test it.....
If you are gonna test it the way you suggest, make sure you have the beast firmly secured........JK

shelikesit

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: PMGR Starter Motor - Questions

There's an auto electric guy here that's been in business for longer than I've been alive and that's where I take the trucks for electrical problems.

He rebuilds starters and when I called today he said 100 to 125. I have this one out now and it's the one with the solenoid that's part of the assembly. Permanent Magnet Gear Reduction Starter Motor (PG200)

Does this have to go to a marine dealer for the rebuild or is this also a common car starter?

If I can get a Direct Drive Starter Motor from a local marine guy cheaper will this also work for my 1993 4.3 Motor? Mine does have the electric fuel pump lead if that's any consolation.

Are these 2 starters inter-changeable if it comes down to getting the direct drive either cheaper or faster. More towards the faster option.

Thanks

DHPMARINE

Captain

Rebuilding is a good option,just make sure it's a marine rebuild,but our local guy (very good) takes 2-3 weeks.Not good in the middle of July.

The gear reduction is the way to go.More power,less weight for easy install.

Look here at IBOATS.Not sure what they have.

We just order and stock Arco units.No problems.No wait,and we retail them around $185.00.Even no exchange.

DHP

shelikesit

Petty Officer 2nd Class

This guy can do it within in a day or 2. I'm going to pass 3 or 4 marine shops before I get there tomorrow, if one of them has the direct drive starter sitting there to get me by if its longer than a day or 2, will this work on my engine?

Are they inter-changeable if it comes down to it.

Yes he know's it's a marine rebuild coming and quoted the price as such.

DHPMARINE

Captain

The direct drive will work,but you'll need longer bolts to install it.And it has less power.It worked well,but has had it's day.

I would hold out for the gear reduction unit.

Also any shop sitting on a direct drive should at least kiss your feet,happy to get rid of it.The gear reduction unit replaces it.

DHP

shelikesit

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'll keep that in mind tomorrow. Thanks for some well put information.

Bondo

Staff member

Just another little known Secret,.............

All of the Gear Reduction Starters are Sealed,....... just by their Nature,+ Design,.........

They're Marine Starters,...........
Even the Chrome Hot Rod 1s,.......Along with the Daily Driver 1s........:love:

shelikesit

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'll tell you what, the guy here that rebuilds them drills through that sealment and puts new solenoids on them.

Anyone familliar with this practice? He had 5 of them sitting there done when when I dropped mine off. He just gave me one fo the 5 sitting there.

I was back on the water by noon today and back in now, and may go out late tonight.

I saw why the one I brought to him was bad, darn salt water chewed it up good at the bendix. Another lessoned learned.

Check the bilge before moving to the next spot, even though the automatic may not kick in, any water down there may get picked up by the flywheel and brought right into the starter.

They should have college courses for boat owners...............

stevieray

Lieutenant Junior Grade

They should have college courses for boat owners...............

There are - and you're already enrolled - right here at the School of Hard Knocks! Allow me to introduce the Dean.....Mr Murphy:D

tommays

Admiral

You need to move to a better area :)

we have a 40 hour I/O night class

Tommays