'79 Evinrude 35hp - Lost cylinder again...help!

Back in July, my '79 Evinrude 35hp lost a cylinder. I replaced both coils and eventually fixed the problem by installing a new power pack. It ran great for several outings until this weekend. I was putting along slowly when one of the cylinders stopped working again. However, later that night (without me touching a thing) both cylinders were running at full power again!

Someone mentioned something to me about the kill switch being problematic. Does anyone know more about this?

Does anyone have a suggestion as to why this may be happening? I suppose that it could be two bad powerpacks but I suspect something may be causing them to fail and/or operate sporatically.

Also, whenever I lose a cylinder the motor is extremely difficult to shift into and out of gear. Is this normal?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: '79 Evinrude 35hp - Lost cylinder again...help!

You could have temporarily fouled a plug with a bit of carbon. Carbon blew out and plug started firing again. Check/clean/or replace the plugs if it happens again. Sounds like your motor has a shifter/throttle interlock that prevents you from shifting with a high throttle setting. You have to set the throttle higher to keep it running on one cylinder, thus locking out the shifter.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Captain - YOu need to buy the OMC shop manual for your engine and do some troubleshooting. Guessing and throwing parts at an engine can get frustrating. I'll bet you have a loose or dirty connection somewhere.

Solittle said:
Captain - YOu need to buy the OMC shop manual for your engine and do some troubleshooting.

Good call. I have a shop manual for everything else in the world, I should get one here too.

Talking with a buddy last night over a few beers, he echoed the same thoughts about a loose and/or dirty connection. Specifically he mentioned that a dirty or loose ground wire could cause there to not be enough spark to get the cylinder going.

I'll order the manual and do some poking around. Thanks.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

What spark plugs are you using?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

I'm a believer in checking the most obvious and/or most likely stuff before going poking around looking for something wierd or exotic.

I still haven't figured out the problem (or found a short) but will keep looking. However, the tag on the spark plug wire says to use a L7V plug. The actual plugs that I have in there are QL7V JC4 plugs.

Any thoughts on what else could be the problem?