Quick opinion needed

Lootas1

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Have a 1961 Larson 18 foot cruiser. Came with a bad 100 hp Johnson. So I bought a Merc 900. Turned out it wasn't worth fixing. Monday morning I tow the boat 250 miles to look at a Merc Mark 75. Is 60 hp going to be enough for that boat? Weren't those all that funny drive that you had to stop and restart motor to reverse. Think they were called dockbusters for a reason. Should I turn and run? If not, is $400 too much if it is in good shape? Help!!

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
Re: Quick opinion needed

60hp on a 18 foot cruiser is probably going to be sluggish performance. It will get you up on plane, but don't expect any high speeds - - - think around 25mph.

But, it will not suck fuel like a 100hp.

Choose a motor based on your needs, not what is available.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

I agree with Mark. The Merc you describe is fine, but you should try to get as much horsepower as the boat is rated for. You don't have to use all the power, and a larger motor running at part throttle gets better economy and lasts longer than a smaller motor running wide open the entire time. Contrary to popular belief, it is not good to run a motor wide open the entire time. You should be able to cruise at 2/3rds throttle with an average load that you would have in the boat.

Don't be in a hurry, there are other motors out there.

Lootas1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks Mark and Jason,
Well, I did buy a smaller motor. Don't know much about it but it starts right up, sounds good and pumps water. It is a Merc 650, three cylinder, black. Don't know age but I probably won't be using the motor much. Just run around the San Juans a few nice days each summer. Maybe a bit of salmon fishing. With any luck, this motor will outlast me. Thought I'd go boating today but I need to find a bracket for the Teleflex steering cable first.

jmandss

Cadet

Lootas1,

Does it look like mine? I have a 1967 Merc 650 and it runs great!
Motor.jpg

Lootas1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yah, that's my motor. Glad to hear yours runs great and is a 1967. Just got a bunch of opinions on another website and they trash talked this motor something terrible. What gas/oil ratio do you run? What size boat are you running it on? Quick, I need more positive feedback. This is the second Merc I bought for this boat and the first one (a 900) was garbage and never went on the boat. So far, I'm about $3,000 into the boat and still quite a way from the water!

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

50:1 is the mix. Make sure it is propped to run in its powerband or you'll kill it. Mercs run better at higher rpms, so prop it near the peak of its max rpms, and it will be fine. Mine is propped to run to 6000 rpms, and it does it just fine. Keep weight to a minimum on the boat, and it'll get you around.