Any plumbers here?

Aquaman

Petty Officer 3rd Class
What can I expect labor to run for installing a gas water heater?

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Any plumbers here?

Not a plumber by trade, but if you buy it and they install it, it's gonna be higher. Expect it to be around a couple of hundred labor anyway...

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

In Minnesota it was $150 and that included the permit.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Install it yourself. It is very easy and you don't need to worry about a permit. Biggest problem you'll have is disposing of your old heater.

Having to take out a permit to replace a hot water heater is a giant ripoff. A pure cash cow for the power hungry, money grubbing beauracrats.

crunch

Commander

Boomyal said:
Install it yourself. It is very easy and you don't need to worry about a permit. Biggest problem you'll have is disposing of your old heater.

Having to take out a permit to replace a hot water heater is a giant ripoff. A pure cash cow for the power hungry, money grubbing beauracrats.

.Of course if it blows up and burns down your house, your insurance company will want to see the permit and the sign-offs by the inspectors before they pay a dime.

If you don’t install it yourself, have it done by a licensed plumber, or the above also applies.

Ron G

Commander

Hard to say.ive changed them out in less than 30 mins before and been there all day on one or 2.

NW Redneck

Chief Petty Officer

Depends on: Location and access to tank, dimentions of new vs old tank, and wether old tank was installed to code. Any deficiencies will have to be corrected when the new tank is installed. How is the current tank vented? On it's own or in common with a furnace? Is the vent sizing correct? As for labour costs, hourly rates can vary widely depending on location. Make a couple of calls and find out the average hourly rate is in your area.

flashback

Captain

i wouldn't touch it for less than 500 bucks..........

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Changing one for another? Or first time installation of a gas water heater to replace an electric one?

If it is just swapping out an old one for a new one I would suspect it would be cheap. BUT...... any installer worth the money will also install a new gas line, vent pipe and use all new copper. Dealing with gas they would have to be CETP certified.

If you don't want to do it alone I would anticipate $150 and maybe plus supplies.

Aquaman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for all the replies.

It went out yesterday and I shut it down and drained it. It would be switching old leaking unit for new, Gas to gas, vented w/furnace. easy access.

I'm good for a few days since I can shower in the motorhome so I thought I'd get my brother-in-law, a currently unemployed plumber, that owes me about $450 to do it. I was thinking it might be a (maybe only) chance to get some of it back.

After reading the replies and thinking about permits, codes,safety, and HO insurance I think I'll go with a licensed plumber.

D

DJ

I'm good for a few days since I can shower in the motorhome so I thought I'd get my brother-in-law, a currently unemployed plumber, that owes me about $450 to do it. I was thinking it might be a (maybe only) chance to get some of it back.

Not sure that was good choice. It all depends on your relationship with you BIL.:^

I'll do almost ANY exchange-electrical. I will NOT touch gas. If anything happens, YOU ARE responsible.