lower end droped

desertgoldhound

Seaman Apprentice
I got the lower end droped today and it came out without a hitch. I pulled a few hoses inorder to give my self unobstructed work when disconecting the shifting rod. I also realized I have an extra value given to me when I got my boat. It looks as though someone triied building sand castles in my lower end.

Is it normal to have some sand in this area? It seems like it would be imposible to prevent some sand.

desertgoldhound

Seaman Apprentice
Re: lower end droped

Oh sorry I should have realized that. I have a 1974 Johnsohn 70h. It has the inline three.

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander

Its possible to have sand,not a good sign.but more importantly,is there sand inside the pump.if its outside the pump it could have washed into the housing through the drains.Did you have a overheating problem,?either way ,it might be wise to remove the thermostat,while the lowerunit is off and flush out through the water tube and the thermostat port with a hose,check the thermo. for sand,and see what washes out. If you ere having heating probs. Hopefully the new impeller and or pump(if the pump is bad)and flushing will help you.If not you may need to remove the exhust cover on port side and cyl head.You will probably be fine with the easy fix

desertgoldhound

Seaman Apprentice

cool most of it looks to be outside of the pump. I don't know if it had overheating problems as this is a new moter to me. I droped the lowerend to make it safer for the uper end to be removed. What little bit of sand I see in the water pumps upword tube could have droped into there when I was removing the lowerend. I will be doing a rebuild on the upper half I will watch for sand up there. Thanks for the information it has eased my mind.

desertgoldhound

Seaman Apprentice

Sorrry forgot to mention that the reason I am taking off the upper half is becouse I have no compretion on #2 and I have one bolt that is frozen preventing me from removing the heads.

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander

Oh.so your going to rebuild anyway.Do you have access to a torch?if not ,the basic little propane head with MAPP gas is usually successful.Do you have an air compressor. If you do ,I like to tap my stuck bolts with a large punch in the air hammer at a low setting a bit that and heat is 99percent for stuck powerhead mounting bolts. In Fl Keys we have potent salt water,without these methods ,nothing would come apart.Seems likea few guys are doing 3cyl.omc engines this week. I think they are great engines. Built many. Good luck

desertgoldhound

Seaman Apprentice

I don't have the heat but will be purchasing tools one at a time. I will be getting a hammer however I am going to use just a air tank so hopefully it will give me enough blasts before I have to refill it. Thanks for your advice. This should be a long, fun, and exciting project for myself. Wish me luck and may god have mercy on my moter.

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander

You wont need too many special tools. If the engine is from out in your country,you shouldn't have too much trouble taking it apart.I'll be happy as I'm sure everyone here to help and you WILL have a GREAT motor