75 Johnson Rocks Back and Forth

highwayman

Seaman Apprentice
I noticed the other day while at sea thatwhen i stop that the motor seemed loose in that it would rock a little maby an inch.What is the cause ,and what can i do.... Thanks for any help:%

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 75 Johnson Rocks Back and Forth

You mean that it flops back and forth from wave action? If the steering linkage is not loose, then I would guess that the rubber motor mounts are shot. Not a simple job to fix, requiring powerhead removal. I see you are in a salt water area, which makes it tougher yet.

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander

You might be lucky and get away with changing the lower mounts they are located on both sides of the engine,behind the plates with the four bolts.that hold the plate on,toward the front on both sides are larger bolts that thread into the mounts.you might buy time on the upper ones which the previous poster replied about under the power head.If you boating season is seasonal(I live in Fl,its all yr)you can probably get the summer out of it since its almost over and do them all during down time. The power head needs to come off,but its not a big deal. Especially with a book and the knlwlege on this site. Im glad I foun.d it good luck

highwayman

Seaman Apprentice

Ok That sounds like a plan....How much would somthing like this cost if i just took it in? I would like to do it my self but am a little shy about it cause im new to outbaords...
By the way thanks for the help.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

or your transom is bad. manually grab the motor by the foot and see what's moving.

highwayman

Seaman Apprentice

No it is the motor mounts. After talking to you guys im sure thats it....Now only if I could just fix it....

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

If you're speaking of the engine rocking front to back, that would be a M/mt problem.

However, if it is rocking bad side to side in a twisting action such as if one was yanking the steering wheel back and forth, that is caused by faulty stripped splines that exist at the bottom of the steering shaft that splines into the housing that the bottom M/mts attach to.

highwayman

Seaman Apprentice

Is changing the motor mounts somthing I could do over a weekend or is it real major?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

That depends on ones mechanical ability. Actually it is perhaps a 4 to 5 hour job due to the engine's age, salt exposure etc. Flat rate is less than 3 hours but that's really pushing it.

highwayman

Seaman Apprentice

I Have worked on my truck alot,new water pump,ect...But never on an outboard,is it somthing you think i would be able to do?Do you have to take all the linkage apart and stuff?

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

It can be done but I would suggest not without a manual for the motor.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

I don't think you gave the year of the motor, but there probably is some stuff that needs to be disconnected to get the powerhead off. Once that's out of the way it should be pretty straight-forward. I'd say the biggest pain would be dealing with corroded/frozen fastners. Hey, it isn't rocket science.

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander

There should be no reason why you cant do the job.Especially the lower ones ,which I again suggest doing ,to buy you some time,leaving the top to later.If you decide to go for the top,check the powerhead bolts to see what they are like,remove the cowling piece,this exposes the bolts. They should have a 1/2 inch head.Use a 6 point socket or wrench and see if they will budge.If those bolts will loosen.you job is a piece of cake,if they are stuck,dont break them,ask for some more hints.I have some good ones