Pressure wave

Tail_Gunner

Admiral
Dhadley or Walleyehed in your constant dilagence for spec's, aka wot speed rpm are you guy's trying to determine the type of pressure wave the hull create's and the prop live's in? aka bow lifter, stern lifter, why one prop works on one boat lenght and yet not another?

Ive been doing some research on hull types and have come across engineering type's arguing that concept. Makes sense reading smart tab results,along with rake pitch bite and a lot of other descritons.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: Pressure wave

As far as the boat goes, we try to get the wetted surface to a minimum which means less drag. You can try to get the hull to "air out" in several manners. First, hull design. Boats that have a lot of natural lift vs. those that don't. Pad bottom hulls, tunnel hulls, modified V (slot bottom), deep V, shallow V, tri-hull, hulls with hook, hulls with a rocker etc.

Second, use props that compliment any given hull design. IE - boats that have a lot of natural bow lift don't need a bow lifting prop, those hulls will benifit more from an over-all lifting prop.

Then there is balance. Moving the load in the hull to specific places or changing the setback to move the fulcrum point.

As for the gearcase, we try to get as little as possible of it in the water. The most efficient scenario would be to hide the bullet of the case behind the boat almost like a surface drive unit (Arneson, Kama etc).

There is a "wave" or vortex in front of the gearcase. At speed the nose will push water away from case and the water will then naturally curve back to the side of the case. Just in front of where the water comes back to the case is air. The faster you go, the further back that pocket of air is. At some point, depending on gearcase design, the prop will get into that pocket of air. At that point the prop loses bite and the boat probably takes a hard 90* left hand turn. Sometimes the boat will snap roll. It ain't pretty. That's what's known as "blowout". A lot of folks refer to blowout as what happens when a prop starts to ventalate. Either getting on plane or in a turn but while they're similar in that the prop loses bite, they're really two completely different things.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Say D, you mentioned a surface drive unit. I saw the rear view on here today that appeared to be a V4 or 6 OMC on what appeared to be a bass boat.

Instead of seeing the normal things you see from the rear there were 3 square boxes protruding under the hull from the center rear of the engine it looked like.

Is that what I saw.....the guy had it as a logo like Kenny has a turning prop.

Thanks,
Mark

walleyehed

Admiral

If I may add to this, I'm finding the balance issue, as DH has mentioned above, is also very critical and I'm fighting some tough issues with that right now.
Every hull-even identical hulls with the same engine-is going to have a fulcrum different for each and every boat.
I've gone beyond my optimum point of setback and have found that suddenly, only one of my props will really perform with any respect, and the change was very minumal...it's amazing how very small changes can have such a great effect.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Hmmm that post was a result of either to much burbon or to many cigar's.......
smackbum.gif

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Mark, I'm not sure what that was. There is a unit called a "Pulse Drive" (I believe) That's basically an inboard deal coming out the back, rather than out the bottom, with a rudder. It has a 3 sided box deal covering it. The Arnenson and Kama units themselves turn so there is no seperate rudder.

But you say there was an outboard mounted on top of the 3 boxes?

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

If I can find the thread I'll direct you to it. Never saw anything like that.

Thanks,

Mark

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

I found it. It's on the OMC OB site under the Marvel Mystery Oil question. Guys name is KY Hunter 2. I probably ought to give him a jingle and see what he's running.

Mark

Crownie2

Petty Officer 1st Class

Looks like an OMC with a Stingray or Doel Fin on it.

Bob

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Awwwww. Doesn't look like any Stingray fin I ever saw. Don't know what a Doel is but I'll do a www search and see.

Thanks,

Mark

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

That's just a standard V4 crossflow with a Stingray type fin on it. The rear cover is off thats under the lower motor cover. The 2 square things a little higher up are the lower motor mounts. There's something laying on the ground in front of the motor that gives an illusion of the gearcase being more square.