best multimeter to test marine electronics???

silveraire

Petty Officer 1st Class
can anyone recomend a good meter. I'm in the market for one

JUSTINTIME

Captain
Re: best multimeter to test marine electronics???

fluke, electronic specialties, Stevens, snap-on, sears has a good one for 100
make sure u have the CE symbol
it means it is shielded

DHPMARINE

Captain

For J/E testing I would stick with Stevens.

Snap-On,Fluke,etc. are probably better equipment,but the Steven's CD-77,and it's directions seem flawless.

DHP

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

If your are seriously looking at serviucing marine, or any other electronics then it is worth getting a good meter. However if you had the expertise to be doing that then you probably would not be asking for that sort of advice on here.

In the UK we have a company called Maplin Electronics who offer simple digital multimeters from as little as 5 pounds sterling. (less than 10 dollars) Someting like that will be quite adequate IMHO. At that price you can afford a second one as a spare or to keep at home.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

For run of the mill troubleshooting, anyone's digital meter will work. If you are going to get into igntion investigation, then you will need a DVA adapter or a peak reading voltmeter.

One company that has good products for both the do-it-yourselfer or the professional is ESI.

http://esitest.com/company.html

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Agree with the above. Digital multimeters are a dime a dozen and are extremely accurate.....to the point that you can determine level of charge by reading two decimal places. Unheard of with the old analog meters.

If you have a rugged application, Fluke Co. has been mfgring excellent units for years. Their pricing now includes some for less than $100 whereas they used to cost over $250. We used them in industry.

But, you can wear out 20 $5 for the price of one fluke and you get new leads and screen and all. Something to think about. However, the quality of the leads and all aren't up to the Fluke and certainly don't take a lot of abuse.

I buy mine (personal use) from Harbor Freight and buy half dozen at a time. Cost under $5 on sale and last me years. I use them for Christmas presents too. Still have a couple lying around from the last purchase and I don't remember when that was.

Mark

TeamPSI

Seaman Apprentice

Harbor Frieght $2.98 on sale! :)

WTPhantom309

Seaman

i use my fluke 87 for everyday trouble shooting but for the delicate stuff i use my simpson, im an oilfeild electrician and have been around them a long time so if ur new to volt meters id go with a fluke or any old DVOM cause simpsons are kinda tricky.

Good luck

byacey

Chief Petty Officer

I use a Fluke 87 as well, although this is more meter than what's required for marine electronics, unless you are doing radio / navigation gear repairs. For general troubleshooting of outboards, wiring and ignition / charging circuits any $30.00 digital meter will work fine. Knowing what to do with it to troubleshoot is another kettle of fish.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Hey West Texas, you're bringing back memories now buddy. I used to use the Simpson Analog as my benchmark meter working with airborne electronics things. Then digitals came out and we went to the Flukes.

But there were several measurements that required the integrating capacity of the D'Arsonval meter movement in the Simpson to get a reliable reading as the digitals would just bounce around, even with an integrating capacitor across the leads.

Mark

WTPhantom309

Seaman

Hey Mark Im an oilfeild electrician and it took many moons to learn to use a simpson correctly, but while my DVOM is faster i still find my self using my simpson. I think its cause my boss found out how much the company had to pay for it so he told me i better wear it out or he was gonna hang me with the leads. LOL. but you are right weather its checking mother boards or ohming out a motor you just cant beat a simpson

Derek

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Hear you oil. Just got back from a trip out to Arizona. On the way back I spent the night at Lovington, NM. Lots of oilfield guys bunking out there. That part of the country over to Post and down to the Permean basin is really something in the quantity of oil being chased for all these years.

Then, heading east, on the caprock, it's farms, farms, farms.

Mark

WTPhantom309

Seaman

theres a good lake in post if you can tolerate the wake boarders i know weve got 2 drillin rigs running and were getting another if you ever get towards andrews look me up and well go bust some bass in post

Derek