'88 28SPL 3-wire connector?

michiganmarty

Seaman
Can anyone tell me what the three wire d-shaped connector is for under the console and connected to the ignition swith and engine harness?

The terminals are round, and I believe the wire colors are Black, Purple, and Brown. I have no idea what it is for, a tachometer maybe?

Thanks in advance,
MichiganMarty

ob

Admiral
Re: '88 28SPL 3-wire connector?

My guess is that it was originally for a vro alarm harness.The SPL engines didn't come stock with vro.I may be completely wrong but my reply will bump your thread to the top.

Walker

Captain

Is that wire brown or tan?? Where does it go, or come from?? .

michiganmarty

Seaman

I'll have to look tomorrow on the wire colors and post back. Question though, Why would the VRO connector be by the ignition key in the console? I would think it would be in the rear by the motor... :$

Walker

Captain

I'm thinking 2 things it may be. 1st is the alarm that ob mentioned. Or maybe a volt meter. Get the color of the tan/brown wire and see where it comes from.
Do you have a control box or a binnacle control??

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

That connecter by the key switch is a plug-in for the tach. That is if you mean the control box instead of console.

michiganmarty

Seaman

Walker:
I have a single lever control box, and pardon my ignorance, but I don't know what a binnacle control is.
I'll get the wire colors and where they go in the a.m..

R.Johnson:
The connector (rubber, BTW) is under the console and not the control box.

Many thanks to you folks helping out!

Walker

Captain

Here's is a sidemount control box and a binnacle control. Which one do you have??
y%20r-c%20box%20side%20&%20top%20mount.jpg

michiganmarty

Seaman

Walker:
Mine is definitely a side mount.
It has the throttle cable, shift cable, and shift/starter lock out wires. That all. The starter key and safety kill switch
are in the console.

Oh, and mine is for an E'rude, not a Yammy. d:)

michiganmarty

Seaman

Oh, sorry, but I got so busy today I forgot to check the
wire colors. I probably won't be able to get to it now for
a couple more days.

However, my electrical and newly fab'd console are
finally done! I got most of the tools out of the boat and
now I'm almost ready to tighten or replace some rivits,
and then turn it over to seal 'er up with GluVit. I'll wrap it up with a fresh coat of paint top to bottom.

Walker

Captain

I'd bet those wires and that "D" shaped connector is for a tach. On most OMC sidemount control boxes the keyswitch is in the box and the tach connector is just below the key

michiganmarty

Seaman

All,

Sorry I haven't got back on the wire colors, we've been out of town. I still haven't had a look, but hope to tommorrow.

The key switch is in the console, not the control box. The only electrical in the control box is the wiring and switch for the nuetral saftery start switch.

The D shaped connector (which is rubber) is also in the console behind the dash and is wired into the engine harness, starter switch and kill switch.

michiganmarty

Seaman

Ok, here it is!

The three wire colors are Gray, Purple, and Black.

At least the Purple looks like it is purple. The color is faded and mottled, but in spots it appears purple.

Where they go:
The Gray wire from the connector is wired directly into the Gray wire in the engine harness.

The Purple wire from the connector is wired into the keyed ignition switch to terminal "A".

The Black wire from the connector is also connected to the keyed ignition switch, terminal "M".

Maybe this can tell us what these wires are for.

Thanks for all of you helping out. This forum is the greatest.

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander

yEP,TACHOMETER,omc,made it easy to hook up the tach by provoding the plug,you can also buy a accessory panel that plugs into it. The gray wire is the pulse for the tach,purple is the accessory positive(has power with key on)black is ground