Bass fisherman snags gator in local lake

jtexas

Fleet Admiral
Grapevine lake...guy on the bank with a digital camera snapped some pics - <br /><br />
8958724.jpg
<br />
8958728.jpg
<br /><br />from http://www.nbc5i.com/news/8958550/detail.html

MYTJC

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Bass fisherman snags gator in local lake

Why would anyone put it back in the lake?? Is the normal procedure??

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Protected species, MYTJC - he might have violated the law just by handling it. Besides which, probably less than 80% of Texas bass fishermen carry firearms - how else would ya dispose of it? They're no real danger to people, anyway (talkin bout the gators - you take your chances with the bass fishermen). ;)

MYTJC

Petty Officer 1st Class

i wouldnt want that back in my lake.....i would have contacted fish & game and let them decide...

cwilt

Petty Officer 1st Class

thats a baby in my neck of the woods. all kidding aside, i've seen 'em at 16 feet long down here. bit average is about 8 ft. alot of times they don't get out of the way when your running down the canal. most of the time if you don't taunt them they don't bother you.

ztim

Chief Petty Officer

They won't hurt you. They will keep their distance and disappear if you get too close. The one I caught was about that size, and he was after my bait. Just let him go/leave him be.<br /><br />Oh...and leave nests alone.

NIGHTFISH

Seaman

I agree with ztim and cwilt that one is just a baby. I have seen hundreds living in louisisna and they never hurt anyone or the fish population. So I suggest let it live out its life in peace.

brownies

Chief Petty Officer

Saw a 14' yesterday and seen em longer than my boat before. Protected here also. Game and Fish would have a ticket fest with that guy.<br /> I don't know why they are protected though? Probably at the top of the food chain with hardly any competition.<br /> People would be their only fear I'd think and as of right now, they sure aren't afraid of people or boats. They won't even change direction or give a boat a "first" look when swimming toward one.<br /> Sure don't seem to bother anybody and they pay you as much attention as they would a tree. BUT, duck hunters sure loose a lot of dogs every year???<br /><br />Think about that...How'd ya like to wade around in 30,000 acres of 4 and 5' deep water all day long knowing what lives there......

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Oboy. Now Jeff (Gonfishn) will come to Texas hoping to catch some musky bait.

Ripfence

Petty Officer 1st Class

I grew up in Florida and waded many lakes with gaters around me. I never had any major problems with them. They can be a little scary during mating season and when they have hatchlings around.