9.9 tight twist throttle

hondatech

Cadet
I just picked up a mid 70's 9.9 at a yard sale. I got it home and it fired right up and seemed to run properly. The only thing is I think the throttle is abnormally hard to twist.I am nearly a "novice" outboard tech.I have tinkerd with a few outboards though. What I would like to know is, should I just lube the moving parts? Is there a certain type of lube to use? and Is there a suspect part that may be worn causing the tightness that I cant see?
Thanks, Chris

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 9.9 tight twist throttle

email me at 'tashasdaddy@comcast.net' will scan diagram of tiller arm. there is a friction block in the arm that can be adjusted.

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 9.9 tight twist throttle

On the port side of the engine you will find a linkage arm,on the bottom of that arm is a rectangular foot that slides into a poly gear that is operated by the throttle arm. Often the poly gear gets the grease all congealed,there should be a grease fitting as well,after you have tried everthing else ,like greasing and lubing other parts it may be this thats the culprit.You can remove the linkage arm I mentioned,that will help you determine whether its in the handle,or engine side