Best trolling motor mount and controls for my Glassmaster bowrider?

ParallaxBill

Petty Officer 1st Class
Guys,
I feel the need for a remote control trolling motor for my 73 18' Glassmaster 800 XED Tarpon bowrider. Seems some sort of hand held remote would be more suitable than a foot operated type for my boat and my needs. I don't want to sit and fish from a pedestal bass boat style seat, I'd rather stand and fish from anywhere in the boat by myself if need be so the idea of a hand held remote control seems to fit my needs.

Any advice, recommendations?

Thanks,
Bill

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Best trolling motor mount and controls for my Glassmaster bowrider?

MinnKota and MotorGuide both make wireless trolling motors. MinnKota is called a Co-pilot. MotorGuides equivalent escapes me at the moment. Both are expensive. To complicate things a little, Minnkota also has a hand held controller that can be used in place of the foot pedal on their Power Drive model. Power Drives are electric steer so they do have a cord. This system is also called Co-pilot. In my experience, wireless systems are one more thing to buy batteries for and the systems are slow to respond. Then there is the reliability issue. MotorGuide seems to be the most troublesome. In my view, buy an electric steer. You can still control the boat from anywhere in the boat and the system is more reliable. Minnkota's cable is 15 feet long or so.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Did you read the "Better Than Sex" post? The poster just installed a MotorGuide wireless and is happy as a clam as it (in his words) is better than sex. I wonder about his lady friends though! d:)

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Silvertip if the motorguide is slow to responed i don't want anything faster. the key fob control is great. i keep the foot control in the storage locker. nothing to trip over.