1988 Johnson GT150 FUEL/OIL PROBLEM

turtlewatson20

Recruit
I have a problem with this motor. It is acting like it is runnig out of gas and the low oil alarm is comeing on. i can prime the gas back up and it will run on what is in the lines and then it bogs down like it is out of gas and the low oil alarm comes on. Then it will cut off. I have checked the fuel line for any leaks and have not found any. The fuel line is not that old and does not show any cracks or anything that might be leaking or letting air get in............Thanks for your time, Chris

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1988 Johnson GT150 FUEL/OIL PROBLEM

Probably a dumb question, but is the tank full of oil? There is an oil sensor in the tank. It is happy when the tank is full of oil. It will warn when the oil gets low. Disconnect (temporarily-bypass) the wires to the oil tank and see what happens. Could be the oil tank sensor. Also, check the oil line sight tube inside the cowl, just before the fuel pump. It should be full of oil and you should see the dark color of the oil through the plastic. If it is clear, you need to rebleed the oil line to the pump. Once you know the oil side of the pump is operating normally, try squeezing the fuel primer bulb repeatedly and see if it will run while you prime it by hand. If it runs when you override the pump, you may have a bad pump.

turtlewatson20

Recruit

yes the tank is full of oil and the oil is up in the sight window. I found a clamp loose on the oil line and fixed it then i rebleed the oil and it still does the same thing. My fishing buddy sat on the back of the boat and kept pumping the bulb for the fule with his hand so we could get back to the boat ramp after i burnt up the trolling motor switch (because it got to hot) trying to get back. So i guess it is going to be the pump. Thank you for your time and have a good day...

red boat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You may want to check the tank vent, check the check valve that is in the tank, and also check the fuel pickup tube to make sure the screen at the end of the pickup tube is no blocked up (that is if your pickup tube has a screen). Sure would hate to replace the pump and have the same problem because of something else!

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Check the pulse hose from the pump to the the crankcase...