!968 avenger seats.replace/repair

Deimus

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I recently purchased a 1968 ceebee avenger with a 100hp merc onit. The seats are in pretty bad shape and I would like to replace them or have them re upholstered.

They are the solid mounted small back to back seats with removeable bottom pads. I have looked all over for replacement seats with no luck.

Does anyone Know where I can find them?

Or how much is a good deal to replace them?

Thanks I would really like the boat to look nice the first time I take it out:)

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: !968 avenger seats.replace/repair

Have you searched the iboats Marine Store? They have a fair selection as well as searching on the internet or ebay.

Price is actually quality dependant. New seats are big bucks but consider if they last 10 years divide the price by 10 and the cost per year is reasonable.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i've been buying mine on ebay.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Deimus, I have a '74 Avenger with the back-to-back custom seats. I replaced them with standard Wise back to back seats. I did not want to pay for custom seats and was not competent to do it myself.

There are a lot of varieties in replacement seats. On that hull, a pair of small swivel bucket seats would look nice. Match it with a bench seat across the back.

Oh yeah, I always fiberglass the seat frames to the floor. It is the best way to fasten them.

tmh

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'm gearing up to fix up the interior on my 19 foot BR also so I'll give you my thought process for whatever value it has for you.

For FUNCTION, I can quite easily just buy new, fairly dense closed-cell foam to replace the old crap inside. I did this with the bow seats because the original vinyl was in very good shape. "Closed Cell" is because it does not absorb water and floats. Look on eBay for Closed cell or Marine/boat/outdoor foam as it is MUCH cheaper there than a local foam shop - eBay is an outlet for the scraps from several foam shops which is all you need for boat cushions. "Scraps" aren't bad quality, just the ends of rolls or pieces cut away for wholesale/retail custlmers.

For the back to back recliner seats, I may just replace the foam to make them sit nicely, as the vinyl is in good condition for a 20 yr old boat - but has some small rips/tears. Or, i may buy newer ones and also re-design the seating layout at the same time, which will be very expensive as I can not do it myself.

I've seen new cheap seats that look very cheezy on a nicely re-done boat. IF I but seats, they'll be nice ones - or I'll just fix the ones on there now as best I can andbe done with it Custom upolstery work is expensive to have done, so I'll only do whatever I can with a saw, staple gun and electric knife for cutting the foam. It's actually quite easy, btw, if you can re-use the vinyl.

Good luck, let us know what you find out there.

Deimus

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks for the feedback. It atleast gives me a place to start.

Does anyone Know how much upholstery work usually runs?:/

tashasdaddy

you usually get the quality you pay for. take it to Tijuana, just be carefull coming back. ha,ha.

glennrow

Petty Officer 3rd Class

i shopped around when replacing the seats on mine last year and ended up going with a furniture upholstry shop, they can get the same marine grade material and were much less then anyone who advertises "boat or marine services"

Deimus

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for all the help.
I found a guy here that will do the whole thing for $400

Now I'd like to put in a lining in the bottom. kinda like bed liner.

any feed back?d:)d:)

tashasdaddy

make sure it is UV resistant. some are not , and will fade and peel up.

Deimus

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I haven't ordered the material yet we are going to go over that next week. is there a difference in uv protection in marine vynal:/ or are all the marine ones the same?

moeMC

Cadet

found a website for a rigged back to back seat at go figure...boatseatsonline.com