Jack Plates

tysidor

Seaman Apprentice
Hey everyone. I have a 1984 Glastron Carlson with a 20" Evinrude 200hp on it. I am replacing the Evinrude with a 1998 Yamaha 250 hp 25". I would appreciate any advice on good jack plates that are reasonably priced. I don't mind adjusting manually. The main reason for the Jack Plate is the 20" to 25" shaft on the motor. Does anyone know of transom risers that would work with this high horsepower of an engine. It may be an alternative to save me money. Thanks in advance for all the help!!

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Jack Plates

Tysidor, Jackplates come in three varieties (and prices). There are fixed height jackplates (~$100 cheapest), manually adjustable Jackplates (next cheapest), and power adjusting. CMC makes some as does T-H Marine. You can see them at BoatUS, WestMarine and Overtons. The T-H Marine Pro Hijacker fixed jackplate is made for mounting long shaft motors on short transoms

tysidor

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the advice. I think I have narrowed it down to 2 different models. Both made by CMC. One has a 5 1/2" setback and the other a 10" setback. I know setback helps get the prop some cleaner water. I guess I am just wondering whether I should go with the 5 1/2" or 10". Are there advantages or disadvantages to either route??
Thanks again!!

CMC #65012 5 1/2" ML-65
This unit has 5 1/2" of setback and 5" of vertical travel.

CMC #61012 10" ML-65
This unit has 10" of setback and 5" of vertical travel.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

The setback of the jackplate may alter the trim of the boat. I have a jackplate with 5" of setback on my 16' speedboat. It does not make any noticible difference. I do not know if the 10" setback will alter your trim. Why do you think the water is not clean near the transom? Did your previous setup (no jackplate) ventilate?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Will your current steering accomodate a jackplate?? You need to check.