adding trim to volvo 280 leg???

mtnrat

Chief Petty Officer
What parts would i need to find to add trim to a volvo 280 leg? would parts from a 270 or 290 work. serial # PZNR 28129663 B.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: adding trim to volvo 280 leg???

Yea, your post got lost in the dead forum yesterday. Kind of amazing how much better this new forum software is isn't it.............. NOT. But we do have all the adds to the right now 8)

Anyway, changing is not a kit you install. It's a complete transom shield change, along with drive parts.
Many are NLA as new parts from Volvo, so finding them on ebay or locally is your only hope. Inexpensive is also not a word used to describe the change or what is needed.

mtnrat

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks, I have a feel for what is needed and I have a lead on a 290T that is on a pos hull with no engine. I guess if I want to go that route it is best to get that, and use what I need. I was just hoping that someone could list what I will need to change and or adapt incase I just slowly collect bits and pieces as I find them.

Don S

You would need ALL of the 290 system, including drive. The drive attaches to the transom shield differently than the 280. You will also need the exhaust Y pipe for the 290 transom shield, it's also different where it attaches to the shield. You will also have to cut a different sized hole in the transom, it will be bigger, but you would need to get the X diminsion in the proper location.
About the only think you could use from the 280 system would be the lower unit of the drive. The upper and intermediate housings are different.

mtnrat

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks Don. If I found a 280T what bits would be needed?

Don S

I don't know, I've never tried to change one to a 280T.