How Much Should Winterization Cost???

imported_boatin clan

Seaman Apprentice
For those of us who understand the importance of winterizing engine and drive BUT were born genetically incapable of performing this necessary annual ritual, how much should we expect to pay a marine shop to do it? I know there are different labor rates, etc., but what's a ballpark?

I have a 1988 Mercruiser 4.3LX and an Alpha I combination.

Thanks for your input!

Boatin Bob

Lieutenant Commander
Re: How Much Should Winterization Cost???

That's a pretty open ended question and it would really depend on what you consider "winterization"

For me that means doing these items
change engine oil/filter water/fuel separator
fogging engine
drain all water, pour in some antifreeze (incase drain all water didn't work) :'(
drain lower unit oil
replace with fresh, new gaskets for drain/fill screws
remove drive
grease u-joints
inspect gimbal grease
inspect bellows
new gasket orings and re-install drive.

imported_boatin clan

Seaman Apprentice

As a follow up thread, what should that include - what should specifically be perfomed by the shop to both the engine and the drive?

imported_boatin clan

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Boatin Bob, you answered before I had posted the follow up question. How about impellers and gimbal bearing? Should that be a part of this too?

stevieray

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Clan - typically, a shop won't include service like replacing impeller or gimbal brg in a std winterization package. You would need to ask for that specifically if you want it. It is a real good idea to replace the lower unit pump impeller every year. Gimbal bearing should only be replaced if it is wearing out - you can do a search & find a lot of threads on how to tell elsewhere on this forum.