Bennet trim tabs -not staying down

luckydog49

Cadet
My bennet trim tabs work when at dock, but when running at a plane, they try to go down, (the bow goes down) and a few seconds later the bow will start rising. Plenty of oil in resevoir, new boat to me, so don't know if it was having a problem before.

Boatist

Rear Admiral
Re: Bennet trim tabs -not staying down

Very hard for the tabs to go down on their own. Takes a lot of pressure to lower the tabs while under way.

Only thing I can suggest is a problem in the switch or a short in the wireing. Never herd of this problem ever. Do the tabs go down on both sides at the same time or only one side?

Do you have the Joy stick or dual rocker switches?

QC

Supreme Mariner

Sounds like Boatist got your problem backwards . . .

Seems to me like some sort of internal leak. Maybe there is a check valve or something allowing fluid to be pushed out of the cylinders. Anyway, these guys are very helpful. I'd call or email:

For additional assistance contact Bennett Marine's Client Services Department at (954) 427-1400 or e-mail trimtabs@earthlink.net

Tabman

iboats.com Partner

Luckydog49,

How old is the system? It sounds like the valve seats are not holding. I will be delighted to help. Just let me know how old the system is and if it was working and failed or has been doing this since you have owned it.

Tom McGow
Bennett Marine

luckydog49

Cadet

Thanks for the ideas, The boat was just purchased, on the sea trial the trim tabs would start to lower the bow and within seconds the bow would return up, when we hauled the boat for the survey, the starboard tab was lower than the port one. The tabs did work when the boat was hauled, When we put the boat back in the water, the tabs went up and down, with the port side blowing bubbles as it went down. The fluid res was 3 quarter full, did not see any oil residue in the water.

Tabman

iboats.com Partner

Is the boat new or used? If used about how old? The bubble blowing is normal as air trapped inside the lower part of the actuator is pushed out in the first few strokes. The air is trapped in the upsidedowm cavity of the lower piston tune that is open to the water.

It sounds as if the valve seats are missing or damaged.

Let me know the age of the boat and I will arrange to get you going.

Tom
Bennett Marine

luckydog49

Cadet

The boat is a 1991 Searay 310, and the tabs are original(talking to original owner, he never replaced them)

Tabman

iboats.com Partner

Ok, since the boat is new to you, I want to replace the pump. Take the entire hydraulic power unit out of the boat and drain the fluid. Put a not in saying, "Tom McGow said to replace the unit, no chrage'. Include your name address and phone number. Send it to:

Bennett Marine
550 Jim Moran Blvd.
Deerfield Beach, FL 33442

We will turn it right around for you.

Tom
Bennett Marine

Bondo

Staff member

Man O Man,....................

Why O Why can't the Rest of the Business World be like the Trim Tab Business..??..........

Talk about Service,.............................................:love:

luckydog49

Cadet

I wasn't able to get on the computer yesterday, Logged on to the site, and couldn't believe what I was reading. That's taking customer service to a new high. Thank You very very much. Roman

Boatist

Rear Admiral

Bennett is the best.
My 26 year old unit work as good today as the day I installed them. I did change from the Joy stick control to dual rocker switches and like that better.

Never seen better customer service anywhere.