Ok.. here is one that has stumped them at a Ford Mech forum

crunch

Commander
1986 F-250 6.9 diesel extra cab long bed XLT 4 speed w/ tow package.

New clutch slave and master cylinders gravity bled (I know there is no air in it)

When I start out cold, truck shifts normally, after 10 miles hard to shift, and after 100 miles, forget the clutch unless starting or stopping, you can not get it in gear without shutting it down and restart in gear. When warm or hot you have to match RPM to road speed (kinda like a big truck)

Clutch pedal is right on the floor but it doesn't release fully... I'm at a loss, and so are a lot of other people.

In about 2 months, after the properties we are selling close, I'm going to jack up the radiator cap and run a new truck under it, but it would be nice to know if this is an easy fix, or if I'll have to sell it for parts.

LubeDude

Admiral
Re: Ok.. here is one that has stumped them at a Ford Mech forum

The only thing that comes to mind is that the cowling around where the clutch master cylinder is mounted was prone to cracking, you might check around yours. Have someone look at it while you depress the clutch.

D

DJ

Yep, Lubedude beat me to it.

Have someone depress the clutch while you look at the master cylinder, under the hood.

It should not move.

If it does, your cowl is cracked. You may still be able to get the plate that was used to reinforce it.

There was a TSB on it, way back then.

crunch

Commander

LD, and DWJ... I'll look into it, and thanx.

puddle jumper

Captain

Some things to check that ive run into.
1-check your engine thrust bearings.Ive seen where thay have worn out and when you push on the clutch the crank moves and the clutch does not disingage.I think about 5 thou is the limit.
2-gravity bleading may not get rid of all the air.The best way to bleed them is to opean the cap and force the slave cylinder back in to its bore and force the air up into the master cylinder.This may take a few trys to get the job done.Do not opean the bleeder.
3-ckeck the fire wall as stated above
4-try lubing the throwout bearing and the input shaft it slides on may be sticking.
5-you can also change the trany fliud worn out trans synchros also cause hard shifting but as a rule only in one or two gears unless the wrong gear oil was put in at some piont.
6-A clutch assembely can also cause a poor clutch disingagement.
hope this helps
pj

rwise

Captain

sounds like an air bubble trapped in the system from here,,,

I had a problem similar to this and it was the clutch slave cylnder. Also, had the mod done on the firewall many years prior to that.

Skinnywater

Commander

Pilot bearing/bushing in the crankshaft is worn or seizing.

Will we ever know how this mystery is solved? I just remembered another failure in the linkage system. Had to fabricate the piece as it was quite expensive from Fix Or Repair Daily.

crunch

Commander

technostingray said:
Will we ever know how this mystery is solved? I just remembered another failure in the linkage system. Had to fabricate the piece as it was quite expensive from Fix Or Repair Daily.

I'm working on it, I just don't have anyone around right now to work the clutch besides my 74 y/o neighbor, and I don't think she could work the clutch pedal. :% I'm going to pull the master and see if I can see any cracks.

Thanx all for the input, if it's more than an easy fix it gets parted.

D

DJ

Techno-whatever,

Not worth a response.

puddle jumper

Captain

The other thing i was thinking check the bushings and mounting of the complet pedel assemby under the dash
ive seen them brake away and cause intermitant operation.Just a thought.

xtraham

Lieutenant

it needs a clutch kit..................

crunch

Commander

Thanx to all for the help,

LD and DWJ pretty much hit it on the head. There is very slight movement of the cowling at the top of the master cylinder (less than a 1/16") do to the top rusting out, no crack.

While re-installing the push rod to the clutch pedal I noticed I had to push the pedal in a bit to get a match.... loosened the lock nut and ended up turning it out 10 turns or so to get it lined up.

Just ran into town and the clutch works fine.... of course the real test will be running up to Lakeside everyday starting next week 8)

Thanx again for all the responses, you guys are great.

DWJ said:
Techno-whatever,

Not worth a response.

I agree, so why did you respond? :rolleyes:

Crusty, Try pumping the clutch, this should point to hydraulic rather than mechnical or linkage failure.

crunch

Commander

technostingray said:
DWJ said:
Techno-whatever,

Not worth a response.

Crusty, Try pumping the clutch, this should point to hydraulic rather than mechnical or linkage failure.

Duhhhhhhh... problems have been solved, but I have to agree, you are like petting a porcupine... and if I was your only source of info, you'd be sitting around wondering why nobody liked you.... I've been watching your thread..... and you can call me Crunch.

custombycrunch said:
technostingray said:
DWJ said:
Techno-whatever,

Not worth a response.

Duhhhhhhh... problems have been solved, but I have to agree, you are like petting a porcupine... and if I was your only source of info, you'd be sitting around wondering why nobody liked you.... I've been watching your thread..... and you can call me Crunch.

Thank God you are not, but some people act like like they are the only source of information in the world. If you start at the front and smooth the quills back instead of slamming your hand straight down, you won't get poked.

So what was the solution to the isssshoe?

crunch

Commander

custombycrunch said:
Thanx to all for the help,

LD and DWJ pretty much hit it on the head. There is very slight movement of the cowling at the top of the master cylinder (less than a 1/16") do to the top rusting out, no crack.

While re-installing the push rod to the clutch pedal I noticed I had to push the pedal in a bit to get a match.... loosened the lock nut and ended up turning it out 10 turns or so to get it lined up.

Just ran into town and the clutch works fine.... of course the real test will be running up to Lakeside everyday starting next week 8)

Thanx again for all the responses, you guys are great.