Whaddaya think?

jujubean

Cadet
O.K., So now I know I have a 1995 mercury 25 hp motor. I have had it about three months. Before that, it was almost never used. It sat up for nearly six years. But, since I have had it, it has worked great. Lately, it wouldn't reach full speed. It was always a little hard to start, I had to turn it over with the electric start for quite a while but then the rest of the day I could pull start it on the first try with the ease.

O.K., So I take the boat up to this nice Lake in the ozarks, and guess what? It will not start. I take it to a marine mechanic place when I get back home and there it sits for a week(while I go crazy) and they finally tell me that its the Switchbox.

These are the symptoms I found. I just want to see that the symptoms match what they said was wrong with it and that they weren't just trying to screw me.

It was getting fire, to both cylinders. BUT, It would only get fire after I stopped trying. I.E. If I let go of the starter button, I would see a single spark jump. If I was pulling the rope to start, it would spark as the rope was almost all the way back in. I checked the kill switch and it wasn't the problem. Does the weird firing sound like a symptom of a bad switchbox/ignition module?

I think the carb needs rebuilding or replacement, and it was the cause for the hard starting, but would the switchbox go out gradually and be the reason I was losing power the week or two before it finally would not start at all?

Alot of questions I know, but I am getting my boat back from the marine place, and plan on learning everything there is to know myself. Thanks in advance.

Plainsman

Rear Admiral
Re: Whaddaya think?

Welcome to iboats!

If your not getting spark ,then yes it could be the switchbox. MIne went out this spring with the same type of symptoms.

The guys here in this forum were great at helping me diagnose the problem.