OLD TOHATSU

MOTION LINE

Seaman
Where can I get parts or partsbook for old Tohatsus from 70ies and 80ies, 20 hp and 25 hp?

tohtsu20.jpg

MOTION LINE

Seaman
Re: OLD TOHATSU

Naturally I have done just that, nobody seems to know anything about old Tohatsus not even in Japan from where the engines are from.

Tell me one dealaer or anyone who knows something
about oldie Tohatsus (the dealers seems to be interested in only selling new ones).

TGuy

Petty Officer 1st Class

You might contact Sheepscot Bay Boat Co. located in Maine (207-371-2442). They used to carry a lot of parts for really, really old Tohatsu motors. I think they were one of the first "distributors" of Tohatsu back in the very early 80's. Don't know if they'd have parts for your motor but it's worth a phone call.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

The 38 A and A2 were discontinued back in the early 70's and was replaced by the 38 B. That was then replaced by the 25 A which was then replaced by the 25 B in 1980. There are no parts available for any of the 38 series unless some oddball part happens to have been used on the 25 A or B. Parts books are not available for any of the 38's
as there were less than 50 that were sold in the U.S. Tohatsu's were not brought into the U.S. in any kind of quanity until 1980. I've never seen any 38's in person and I am surprised that there are any still around.

Besides Sheepscott, the only person who might have any knowledge of the 38 would be Roman Kruk of Boatworks By Roman, 610-539-8989.

MOTION LINE

Seaman

Pic here

http://www.motionline.fi/v01/filema...it out why the factory is not giving any info

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

I'll have to lok up the specs, but as I remember it they were all the same. I'll post it tomorrow. Keep in mind that Tohatsu sold very few of these engines internationally and the ones they sold for domestic consumption were all commercial salt water use. IE Not enough in existence to warrant keeping a parts book aroundd:)

MOTION LINE

Seaman

TOHATSU GURU,

I am so glad you gave me this info on the displacement,
I have 3 of theese engines I can post the serials here
if you like. I couldn´t imagine someone had such knowhow about Tohatsu engines and above all OLD TOHATSUs. However I still have a bad feeling they have different disp. at least they look different from outside the block, or they could also be updated versions.
I also had a brief overhaul looking for the powerdiffenence, the carb dia. seems the same (about 1 ").
You may be absolutely right about all the 25 hp 38s are the same but I can recall the 20 hp. being a 25???

Why isn´t mr #1 RAANA responding or is he # 1 after all?

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

My only knowledge of the 38's is from some old spec sheets left over from our oldest Tohatsu service notes folder back in 83. It's pretty specific about the displacement, but if the blocks aren't the same, then the specs sheets are wrong.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

The B 30's were 18 hp engines, but I didn't know they went as high as a C model. The last model of the B 30 we have in our records is the B30B which was produced in the same era as the B38B models.

PurkaAamo

Recruit

Where do you find all those OLD TOHATSUs,...

From PurkaAamo naturally o:)

MOTION LINE

Seaman

Yes, PurkaAamo is the best source for OLD TOHATSUs,
the B 30 C is 19.5 hp according to the serialnumber plate.

serialnumber30.JPG

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

Interesting...Tohatsu specs call it an 18. There was no legal requirement to be accurate back then, but you would think they would have have called it a 20. Go figure.

I think 18 is pretty close to 20 or 19,5.
Who would tell the difference anyway?

Today they still call em new OBs 18 and they have dynoed 21,5 hp out of them,
..... that figures:}

What I can´t understand; why call em 30 (on serialplate) if they´re under 20 or 38 if it is an 25 hp?

Must be Japaneese Logic that has spread over the globe?

By the way that 38 of yours is in good shape to be original,
hasn´t seen much saltwater, has it?