93 Mercruiser Motor / Stern into a 91 Boat ?

shelikesit

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I can buy a 93 thompson "Pleasure" boat, with a cuddy in damn near mint condition. I live in salt and this boat has never seen it.

I have a 1991 Galaxy FISHING Boat, which I love to death. I was going to scrap it until I went back and looked at it because it struck me the new boat is Alpha One and my FISHING Boat that I love and would hate to scrap is Alpha One.

Can I swap the 2 beautiful parts from the pleasure boat and put them in my beautiful FISHING boat?

They're both Cuddy Cabins and I don't want to sell my fishing boat. It's a floating dock. Setup for Offshore.

What problems will I encounter? I could never find these 2 parts this nice here in Florida for $4500 and the motor and stern drive on my Fishing Boat are trashed.

I tell you, I can make a nice swap and trash that pleasure hull on ebay or something and I think come out WAY WAY ahead.

please help :) if you need more info, i can get it, they're both alpaha one, just 2 years apart and one has never seen salt. i'd love it actually if it will work.

i have the merc manuals also, and i have the other ones too.

Thanks,
Dana

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner
Re: 93 Mercruiser Motor / Stern into a 91 Boat ?

Alpha gen I & alpha gen II are not compatible.....
However you are close to the transition year....
You should post up both serial #'s so the members can see what you really have, the hull year is not a reliable source for ID for those years....JK
If they are both gen I or Gen II it should not be a problem, however the gear ratio's will differ if one engine is a V8 & one is a V6......
Post those serial #'s & avoid any confusion....

shelikesit

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Both motors are V-6 4.3L

OK, regardless, I'm going to buy the 93 Thompson tomorrow and run it over the weekend. This way I'll have both boats here with me and the serial numbers and will post them tomorow night.

I do believe the were both Alpha gen I because I've seen some of the gen II stern drives.

In the mean time, say these are both generation I can I go for *** for tat and switch them?

If I had to buy one or the other, if thier compatatible, I should be able to do the switch or is there more to it?

I'm going to buy the Thompson because of the deal, the boat, motor, drive and cuddy cabin are mint and never been in salt water. It's a pretty nice find for a used boat down here.

She worked for a marina and this boat for 13 years old is in real nice condition. Everything on it is nice. But my fishing boat needs a motor and stern drive :)

Thanks a ton.

Dana

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

They should be direct bolt-on replacements if they turn out to be both Gen I or Gen II....
If they are behind the same engine...:)..JK

shelikesit

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thats what I thought, the engine size is the same. Bolt for bolt everything should be the same.

OK, I;m going to be hot on this. Is there mounting gaskets I should plan on changing. What should I plan on replacing while I'm in there.

Seals, bearings whatnot? I believe I'm heading for a direct change.

I guess this is important, will this change have any effect on the fishing boat trimming out. I'll probably see the same numbers on the props or am I wrong.

Dana

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I don't see as you have a problem. If you pull the engine and drive off the "Pleasure boat" all you have to do is pull the transome shield too. The transom shield would also include the trim pump and inner transom plate and steering mounting. That's easy after you get the engine and drive off.
The Gen II drives came out in 91, so I could see your fishing boat having a Gen I, but the 93 would be a bit of a stretch to find a 90 engine/drive package in it.
Post the SN's and it only takes a second to find out what they go to.