Fuel/water seperator

Kwas

Petty Officer 1st Class
I want to install a Racor filter. How high above the fuel pump and gas tank can I mount the filter? Where I would put it is within 18 inches above either. It is a 3.0 Volvo Penta with a mechanical pump.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral
Re: Fuel/water seperator

Don't think it would matter much where ya put it, but below the carb should be no problem.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

Kwas said:
I want to install a Racor filter. How high above the fuel pump and gas tank can I mount the filter? Where I would put it is within 18 inches above either. It is a 3.0 Volvo Penta with a mechanical pump.

Be advised that you CANNOT legally or safely use the Racor filter with the blue plastic sediment bowl on a gasoline powered engine such as a stern drive. Federal Laws (part 183) and the Racor instruction booklet makes the owner aware of the explosion and fire issues.

You have to use the Racor filter that ends with the letters UL and have to use the metal bowl to be legal and safe if the filter is enclosed in a compartment. .

With that being said, 18" above the fuel tank is not a problem with your filter location.

tommays

Admiral

I think if you mount it that high there will allways be issues with air traped in the fuel lines trying to get back down to the pump ?

And 18" up and 18 " down is a LOT of extra fuel line which will make it harder to draw fuel also

Tommays