Can I change the impeller on 18hp easily [being a novis]

gaza

Recruit
could i change the impeller on me 1972 18hp engine,easily on me own,without the risk of messing things up,ive got a service manuual on disc,but being a NONE motor head cant make head or tail of it,what i would love is for someone to say in basic terms if i should go for it,ive got the new impeller[being so new to boating etc i nead help] thankyou

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral
Re: Can I change the impeller on 18hp easily [being a novis]

Post your model number so you can get specific instructions from the board. Other than that, depends on your comfort level with wrenching. If you can change your own oil, you can probably change your impeller/water pump. But if you're not comfortable with the idea to begin with, probably better to find a local mech that can do it for a reasonable price...maybe with you watching so you can learn the process.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

or a friend who is mechanically inclined, and wanting to learn. do it as a team thing.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

It's not a bad thing to be uncomfortable doing some things. There are a lot of things that I can't do, and some that I do attempt to do and regret it.

I once got into an argument with a doctor about our professions. He talked about how much education he had to have and about how he has to take classes every year to keep up with advances in medicine. Well, Of course it didn't take me that long to learn my job but I DID have to learn how to do it correctly, and I DID have to go to annual clases to keep up with what's new. I guess what I'm saying is your pro mechanic had to learn his job and deserves to be paid for his skills and what he knows. I sure got a lot of "basket cases" where somebody tore his motor apart and wound up bringing it in in a basket to fix what he messed up.

Pony

Rear Admiral

Its really not that hard, the manual is the key. The factory Service manual will walk you through the process step by step. If your disc is that, you should be fine. If not, pick up a manual on ebay for your motor.....won't cost much more than $15-20. You will recoup that cost in one repair...........by a vast margin.

i386

Captain

It'll be easier with a little help. It can be tricky getting the drive shaft lined up with the crankshaft by yourself. Not to mention the shift linkage.

Do get a manual though. It's well worth it.