Dave's Rebuild part Duex

dhatcher

Petty Officer 3rd Class
The other Post was getting Way to big, figured it was time to let it die out.

So i called Aristocraft and talked to a man name Bill Turner who's dad was the Founder of the company. Man did he ever set me strait on what type of boat it was and gave me alot of info about it. with all the help you guys gave me (special thanks to Custombycrunch, tashasdaddy, 1386, mark42, Chinewalker, sdunt) We were thinking it was about a 1975ish model.....Boy were we wrong. Its about ten years older!!! man that really shocked me. Its a 17' Funliner. The Transom only has wood were the motor mounts and about 6 inchis out from that. There is no Stringers in the floor its all Foam and its a Two Piece hull. Man this think had me Stoked!!

Anyway i turn again to you guys and post pics. After all this info, what do you guys think will be the easiest way to Replace this transom?

Boatingandcubscouts036.jpg

Boatingandcubscouts035.jpg

Boatingandcubscouts034.jpg

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Dave's Rebuild part Duex

Pull yhe engine bracket and the trim strip.... see what is under it.

You might want to save that fiberglass inner layer and may have to surgically cut it and peel it away. Do not harm the outside of the boat do it all from the inside. I imagine you will very adept with a grinder befor this is over.

You can make the new transon the same thickness or thicher if you like. Whatever you do will be covered by the exsisting trim strip or you can get some aluminum and make a wider one.

In my last transom project I used 2 pieces of plywood (one 3/4" the other 1 -1/4" yes very thick I ended up with 2" thick transom) bonded together with gorilla glue.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

On such a unique shapped transom, I would be inclined to use one of the plastic transom repair products like Seacast. Seacast is more expensive than doing plywood and fiberglass, but this is such a small transom the cost may outweigh the option of cutting the inside out and all the glass work. With Seacast, you remove the top of the transom and extract the rotten core wood from the top. Then pour in a glass/resin mix that hardens into a solid fiberglass transom.

Check out this link on a transom project using Seacast.
http://www.fiberglassics.com/mfg/transom.htm

That transom looks like it is shallow (easy to scoop out rotten wood) and unique shape (better suited to a pour in repair ). And because of the info you got indicating that there is only wood in the mounting location (I can believe that because of the molded in support "ribs" on either side) the amount of Seacast will only be about 2 or 3 gallons (my guess).

I believe there are other brands of pour in transom, but Seacast is the only one that comes to mind at the moment.

So play it safe and cut off the very top layer of the transom and inspect what you have before cutting into the inside skin.

Bill Turner also said there are no stringers, just a solid foam floor. That is good, unless the floor is water logged. So I would cut a few small holes in the floor with a 2" hole saw so you can take a good look at the foam, and probe it for water. If dry, epoxy the cores back into the holes. If wet, cut the floor out around the parameter, remove all foam, and re-foam and floor it.

That is a great little boat.

BTW, I think I saw one of those at Lake Lenier Liquidators if you need some parts.

dhatcher

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well here is a quick update.

Got the old transom out, and its all ready for some Seacast, thanks for the Link Mark42. I got it mostly sanded down and i am Ready for paint. From the rail up its gonna be Candy Apple Red, and the bottom half will be White. Pic when i get it painted in a few weeks

biggy boy

Seaman

How is the boat coming along? I'm interested in how the sea cast works out.
What kind of paint will you be using?

Glen

dhatcher

Petty Officer 3rd Class

its going good, still waiting on the Seacast, funds kinda dropped when i got a new car lol. But when i get it done i will let you know