05 Mercury 115 4 stroke

N2001NHL

Recruit
I replaced the impeller on the water pump..all went good, but i can't seem to get the lower unit on all the way.. i was turning the drive shaft and then it went up onto the bolts but its still a good 1/2" from making contact to where its suppose to be.. i tried everything..and there always is a gap there..

it appears the shift link is hangin up.. when i get the lower unit with in a 1/2" or so.. of where its supposed to be.. it looks like the drive shaft is pushing up?? on the linkage.. and thats causing it to bind and not shift as a result.. I think.. thats the only thing i can figure out when looking at it..Im not sure how the drive shaft connects up inside the motor.. so its only a guess..
anybody have any idea why the linkage that controls the throttle would get pushed up when i insert the lower unit back in place..I tried it a 100 times, and when i get the lower unit set.. it all goes fine.. but it pushed up on that shift linkage causing it to bind on the motor itself resulting in it not being able to shift into gear.. i am stuck.. thanks