1979 150 v6 Do I need some gauges to safely operate?

la350

Cadet
Recently bought a 79 V6 with a suppossedly rebuilt powerhead in 2002. Had the motor checked out and with the exception of a few items, looks ok.

I'm going to install this motor on my commercial fishing skiff in AK. What gauges do you need with an outboard beyond the tach? Do they make water temp or pressure gauge? Is there an all in one unit/guage to cover all outboard installs?

Lance

Capt. Crunch

Seaman
Re: 1979 150 v6 Do I need some gauges to safely operate?

Lance, I'm glad to see your post because I also have a '79 V-6 and just looked at some gauges today. Also have a question,... more on that later.

I am currently looking at mounting a water pressure gauge first. There are plenty of aftermarket ones that read 0-30psi I believe. From what I've heard, the sender mounts to the plug on the top of your block.

You can get the Mercury temp gauge witch looks like a rather easy install if you have Mercury controls. The gauge isn't that expensive either and it ties into the forward facing lead off your control box. I was looking at that one here:

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show...5.png&inbr=575&bnbr=290&bdesc=INSTRUMENTATION

I have a rather lengthly post going on my '79 v-150. If it's not a problem, could you describe your cooling hose configuration, or possibly post a picture? Interested in where your t-stat lines feed to and where your poppet assembly feeds to. I have several pictures of mine in the post below, but would love to see how yours are run.

http://forums.iboats.com/bbBoard.cgi?a=viewthread;fid=29;gtid=1163624

Thanks,
Dennis

la350

Cadet

Hey Dennis,
Lots of good info in that thread. I'll steal my 13yr old sons digicam and get some pics for you.

My motor doesn't put out the stream that I would assume to be correct either when on the cuffs. I did just have the shop go through it though and the mech didn't mention anything about cooling concerns.

I'm going to be making my living with this motor so I will spend this winter going through everything I can to ensure its ready for next summer fishing season. Right now a few gauges are in order, thanks for the link to the parts screen. Is this where you bought your cooling system parts?

Lance

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Tach, voltmeter, fuel gauge, and water pressure are essential for a "work boat". Teleflex has everything you need. Temperature gauge is a plus. The water pressure gauge tells you the water pump is working but is no guarantee that the engine is not overheating.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

But remember, a Temp. gauge (Unless you specifically get the correct one) will not monitor water temp, just cylinder head temp. Pretty much worthless from what I've read.. If you get a water pressure gauge and start with a new impeller, you will have a baseline reading from which you can tell when the impeller needs to be replaced, as well as if it's pumping water or not. Make sure your overheat alarm works though....

Capt. Crunch

Seaman

Thanks Lance, I appreciate it.

I ordered my parts from here:

http://www.dougrussell.com/partscatalog/collections/index.cfm?fuseaction=collectdetails&colid=01

It was a little cheaper than the other link I posted. They sent me an email stating that many of my parts were on order and offered to ship the partial order first. I had them wait to avoid the extra shipping and still had everything in just over a week I think. I wouldn't hesitate to order from them again.

Thanks,
Dennis

ronnieboy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

water pressure and temp gauge, like mentioned above, make sure temp alarm on motor works, mix oil and seafoam and good gas and have fun, ron