Choosing an air compressor...

Manipulator

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I want to buy an Air Compressor but have no idea what to get. I'm looking for electric and enough power to run a pneumatic buffer, drill and also possibly a impact wrench to remove lug nuts from the car. Any suggestions? Size and or PSI etc. Thanks.

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Choosing an air compressor...

The best way to decide what you need is to look at what you're planning on running. On your list, either the buffer or drill will consume the most air. Assuming you want a "hobbyist" unit and not a 240v commercial unit, there are many that will do the job. Forget about PSI. What you're looking for is CFM. Compressors will be rated at blankCFM at 45psi and blank psi at 90psi. More is better. Make sure the CFM rating for the compressor you choose matches what the tools you plan on using need. If you're going to paint with it, get a decent size tank ( 20-30gal) as smaller tanks get warmer air more often and thus more moisture. Also, don't forget about gas engine compressors. They are comparably priced to 120v electrics but their output (CFM) is far greater. I have three compressors, 1 pancake for nailguns, 1 30gal 120v. for painting/impact wrench, etc., and my Jeep that I outfitted with engine operated OBA (~16 CFM at 100psi!) Each is suited to its own purpose.

ndemge

Commander

That compressor will work for changing a tire, might have to wait after the 2nd or 3rd lugnut for it to catch back up.

Forget it for running a buffer or drill for more than about 15-20 seconds

(we have one of those at work)

Get something with a bigger tank for sure. 13gal min

The bigger tank will just mean you will be able to run longer before having to wait for it to catch up. (catch-up time longer as well though)

You'd be surprised what you can find a used 220v upright for.

All depends on how much you want to spend.

ndemge

Commander

Some other options...

See this post:

http://forums.iboats.com/bbBoard.cgi?a=viewthread;fid=37;gtid=1070030;gpid=1070038#gpid1070038

We've ran the living crud outa this pump in the last 2 months and it's still going strong. Same pump thats on the larger harbor freight compressors.

You can get the pump for $100-130
Motor to Drive it for $100
Special hose custom made $60 (weird output on the pump)
Pressure Switch and Fittings: $50ish

And then connect to whatever 40gal+ tank you find

I can run my pneumatic press and have 2 people using staple guns, and still it catches up and shuts off. My previous 20amp Challange Air twin cylinder couldn't keep up with just the press running at full speed.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

I have a 5 HP 20 Gallon tank on mine and I wish I had more when sanding, buffing, air chiseling, Etc. It works, but like was said, it has to catch up when used for long periods. Works great for impact wrenches, though. I think the one you picked out would be fine for busting lug nuts loose and the like, but not for buffing and drilling...

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander

I pretty much feel the same as Rick. You have to boil it down to what you're going to use it for and your budget. That compressor will do fine breaking things loose and running air ratchets, impact drivers, etc.. You could paint with it, but not anything big (like a car). You have to spend some serious dollars to run sanders/buffers and drills, these tasks are better left to electric tools, IMO. For the money, I don't think you can lose. If your needs change, you can always buy a bigger one and that one makes a nice portable.

bucky7680

Petty Officer 1st Class

Air compressors are like boat motors. You can't have too much power (capacity). Also check the duty rating of the motor. Even the high CFM rated compresor will be running hard when using a sander or a drill.

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander

Make sure it has at least ten % more PSI than the max on your cars. Pain to not be able to fill up the car tires because of lack of pressure.

ndemge

Commander

Hey Manipulator...

I see your just across the creek, saw this on craig's list this morning.

Air compressor for $15

(no www) just http://
stlouis.craigslist.org/tls/210473005.html