Poppett valves

lisfisher

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Is there a way to tell by visual inspection if your poppett valve needs to be replaced? I am replaceing my thermostadt so I may as well look into the poppett valve while the cover is off , problem is by looking at it , it's nothing more than a plastic shaft and a rubber gasket/cup assembly , so how can I tell if i should replace that too??

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Poppett valves

Why not replace it as long as you are in there. While it may be good today, it may fail tomorrow. They are not a major expense.

KCLOST

Commander

There are more parts than you described and if you are going to replace them make sure you do them all.

There are the gaskets, the diaphram, washer, poppet, spring, carrier and grommet... I'd replace them all.

Everything comes out when you pull it from the block except the grommet and carrier. TThe carrier is fitted to the hole in the block and the grommet fits into the carrier. Just becareful not to push one or both of them into the hole when removing or installing...

lisfisher

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Is the carrier hard to remove? My outboard motor mechanical knowledge only goes so far so I don't want to get into something I can't finish.

ncfish1

Seaman

The grommet is soft and can be removed easliy with a screwdriver. The Carrier however is hard and takes a little more work. Basic instruments can be used if you don't have specialty tools. As long as the tool has a hook on the end that will allow you to pull and pop the carrier loose. In a pinch, you can use a fish hook remover (hooked end type) or bend a small diameter piece of metal.
Reinstalling is about the same difficulty level. Need a socket or round stock the same outside diameter as the carrier. Add liquid soap to the carrier and lightly/evenly tap until it is flush with the casting.
I would recommend inserting the grommet into the carrier before installation.

KCLOST

Commander

nc has it right on... But you can remove the carrier and grommet at the same time.. You don't want to risk the grommet getting away from you and ending up falling into the block... Not good...:%

gss036

Commander

Guys, not to muddy the water here, but why would one want to install the grommet before the carrier is installed? It (grommet) is soft and flexible and goes on very easy. If you think there is a problem of dropping, use a long stick/screwdriver that goes to back of the hole and then slide the grommet over it and the install and then remove your stick/screwdriver. I just think that is the easiest way. My 2 cents?

KCLOST

Commander

It can be done either way gss, But we had a fellow poster not long ago who pushed it into the block... I just don't want that to happen...

Personally I think it is much easier to install the grommet into the carrier first, then tap in the carrier with the grommet second...

ncfish1

Seaman

KCLOST; you are right on. Have installed many with grommet in with no problems. Have seen do-it-your-selfers push the grommet too hard and drop it behind the carrier. Had to remove carrier to get grommet from waterway and ruined carrier removing or reinstalling a second time. To every man his own.......

ronnieboy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Please! replace the whole assembly, take a fools advise and just do it. will save you many headaches in the future, i know, thanks to kclost and andy 6374, a 3 year problem is now history. motor is runnin great, kclost, you trade boats? ron

KCLOST

Commander

Yea, finally parted with my old reliable Ranger and Merc..

But very happy with my new rig... I'll still be on this board though.. But will have to spend more time on the Yamaha forum also....d:)

ackman

Seaman Apprentice

It's not unusual for the carrier to need some filing work done in order to allow for an easier fit. Even then it's a real tight fit. Use a socket that's just small enough to fit inside the casting and a mallet to set the carrier firmly in place.