Rough idle

jmark

Cadet
5 liter 1999 Mercruiser with a carb. Idles rough, takes at least ten minutes to warm up to where I can rev the engine while in neutral. At higher speed / rpm the engine sounds great and will run as fast as it ever has. The carb was rebuilt by a mechanic at the beginning of the summer. Some of the gas from winter storage had
stayed in the fuel system too long and the carb had to be cleaned out after the rebuild but the tank was run almost to empty and at least 1/2 tank of fresh gas (with added stabilizer) has been run through. Would I be wise to try some kind of gas additive to help clean it out or is there a chance the carb is not adjusted correctly?

thank you

John_S

Rear Admiral
Re: Rough idle

I'd start with checking/adjusting the elec choke, idle mixture, and idle speed. These should have been done after the carb rebuild, when it was reinstalled on engine. Follow the Merc manual, Seloc and Clymers are too vague/broad.

How was the carb cleaned after the rebuild? To clean it effectively requires another gasket kit. The metal washers on the jets, power valve, and inlet valve, I believe are not reusable. The fiber gaskets "might" be OK, but a complete kit is cheaper than the piece parts.

lrlima

Petty Officer 1st Class

Have you done the other required maintenance stuff - plugs, wires, dist, etc? I would also check compression and timing.

f_inscreenname

Commander

I am with John. Have to wait 10 min's then runs fine. Dollars to donuts its the choke.