Trivia. George C. Scotts Boat MOJO Accident

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Some time ago someone showed us a pic of what was said to be George and wife exiting the Columbia river in NW USA into the Pacific in the MV MOJO.

This huge (normal for that area with what I hear) wave smacked them and pitched the bow up at about a 45 degree angle......this is a 65 ft boat!!!!

Someone was right behind them and snapped a pic of the incident. Awesome shot!

Wanted to show it to my son today and couldn't find it.

Anyone know where it is?

Thanks,

Mark

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: Trivia. George C. Scotts Boat MOJO Accident

I've got a copy. I forgot who posted it, but I found the website and downloaded it. I can send you a copy if you post your email addy. I am traveling and may not see this site for a couple of days. I just sent a copy to SBN. Maybe he can send it to you if you post your email addy here. I noted which thread for him to look at . . .

Oh, and she was coming out of Monterey . . .

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Thanks QC, Looks like Reel fixed me up.

That's it Reel, thanks a bunch......awesome experience I'm sure for them. :'(

Was surfing the other day and ran across some Gulf Coast pics (before and after) Katrina posted on the Sun Herald Newspaper site. You'd think you were looking at a war zone; course battling a storm of that size is a war; just not using bombs and bullets.

We spent 4 years of our lives down there in the service and after the storm housed and cared for 3 families (from Biloxi-Gulfport-D'Iberville whom we knew from the experience) for a short while.

Amazing what the wave action did to the bridges (causeways), Highway 90, and the Broadwater Beach Marina. Course, I think the Hwy 90 thing was a blessing. That thing was worn out back in '65. They sure did a nice job of fixing it up. The asphalt should be much more driveable and I like not having the curbs. Also, interesting how all the trees (that were left) were bare. Just like a tornado going through; cleans all the leaves off.

Later,

Mark

QC

Supreme Mariner

Cool. That's where I found it too. Couldn't find the site last night . . . Update #2: Morro Bay, not Monterrey . . .

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

I'm glad I was able to help ya out. I would also like to thank you for helping someone from here during their time of need after Katrina. It was a devastating storm for our area but we are rebounding well.

If ya ever get to our area let me know, maybe we can wet a line together.
mrs_eusa_dance.gif

QC

Supreme Mariner

FWIW, big waves like that are not uncommon on the west coast. Especially above the Channel Islands. (Catalina, Santa Cruz etc. ). Definitely not converging currents like the Columbia R. Just big old mofos that cross the Pacific. Hit a big one on a Rock Cod party boat (70 footer) exiting Oxnard Harbor once. Nothing like the one that hit the Mojo, but you could hear the whole boat of 50+ people take a deep breath. Up and over, no issues, but still pretty exciting.

There are two mega wave surfing meccas, North - Mavericks and South - Cortes Bank. Check out this Photographers setup and shooting from a 246 World Cat (fix the dot):

www dot boats.com/boat-articles/Watersports-152/Shooting+at+the+Bank/12871.html

D

DJ

Dang!! I'll bet that tipped over a couple martini glasses.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

I know this is yakin, and this is the boat topic site, but what the heck.

I used to love to troll between Ship and Cat for Spanish Mackrel.....had to be 100 yds behind boat trailing (Dudley) HEILEGER JIG RIGS in white and yellow.

Battered and fried, probably the most delicious fish I ever ate.

But you have to reel in real fast as if you don't the sharks would get the better half of your catch.
-----------------------------------
Funny DWJ, they said Mom was driving, wonder what George was doing; your suggestion did come to mind as a possible activity d:) .
----------------------------------
Later,

Mark