New to iboats and got a few questions

ALE

Recruit
Hello,

New to iboats but have been reading this forum for some time now. I just bought a boat (my fifth boat but first i/o or sterndrive as merc calls it) ant it's old. I've been going through this boat and finding lots and lots to fix and upgrade and so forth. It was an electrical nightmare with rats nests of wiring that I dont even want to try to describe. (hurts to much) Most of that is fixed and corrected now.
Lots of other cosmetic fixes done and still to do to get her ship-shape but thats ok. I like puttering around and a great way to learn the boat. One area that looks like it was done right was the engine and outdrive. The previous owner told me he had all tune-ups and drive train related work done at a marine shop and as far as I can tell, everything looks well cared for there.

I've been doing a lot of researching and reading these forums and others to familiarise myself with my engine and outdrive and have learned a tremendous amount. I also see what I've got myself into. I know I'm going to have questions that my research cant find answers to from time to time and this looks like the best place to get them answered.

Engine is chevy 250 cid inline 6 165 hp ser 4163414
Sterndrive is mercruiser pre-alpha ser 4193153

btw I don't have a manual yet and that's one of my questions. Where can I get an oem manual. Judjing by enveryones opinions on Selco and Clymer, I don't even want to bother with them. I have been told I can't get an oem for that old a boat. Any one know?

Rpm's on the muffs are 900 and in the water 700. Is that normal and if not, how do I adjust the rpm's??

I can grab the sterndrive by the cav plate and lifting straight up I can feel slight movement. Also, grabbing the upper and lower gear housings with both hands, I have a slight bit of side to side play. I cant really see where the movment is in either situation. Grabbing the leg down behind the prop shaft and then lifting up as if I were hand tilting the drive unit, I can lift it about three inches although it takes great force to do it. Can anyone tell me if any of this movment is normal??

Last question: I have trim tabs by the boat levelor co. Previous owner said they had never worked. That was because the steering cable head had knocked off the fluid resevoir and I found it under the deck plates filled with a dozen years of crud.
I re-located the pump/resevoir a few inches higher on the transom and fabbed up some brackets for the tank as the old brackets were broke. Filled er up and everything worked fine in the driveway. Took it out on the water and again everything was good. What a difference. The question is this. When I bring them up from the down position I hear a lot of gurgling and look in the tank it is blowing bubbles and churning in there. When I send em down, gurgling again but no air bubbles or churning. As I said, they do work. Should I worry about the gurgling / churning thing??

Thanks for any help
Al

Attachments

• P6240082.JPG
    55 bytes · Views: 0

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner
Re: New to iboats and got a few questions

ALE, let me be the first to welcome you to iboats! :).....
Holy carp!...
You have alot of questions, but....
I will answer a few...
First of all, your engine, if it was properly maintained is dang near bullet proof & a good runner....
Second, Look on ebay for a Mercruiser manual # 1 or # 2 they pop up now & then and will be a great aid in the proper maintenence for your rig.....
The up/down on the cav plate is not good, but you need to isolate exactly where it is coming from as best you can, (some places are better than others)....
A bit of side to side play is normal.....
Lifting three inches up is not good, but again there are other places to isolate the movement.....
I'll let some of the other members share their tidbits at this point.....
Again, welcome!........JK

ALE

Recruit

Thanks for the welcom Haut Medoc. I'll check ebay.

I "think" the up down play is the drive unit moving up/down within the bell housing. Kind of akward to jiggle it and try to see at the same time. I'll try to pin it down some more.

Sorry for all the questions. I wasn't even warmed up yet o:)

Thanks
Al

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

That's OK, keep 'em coming....
There are alot of people here that know alot....
You are in the right place, so stick around!
The best thing I can suggest is get a helper & observe while they do the moving part......JK

ParallaxBill

Petty Officer 1st Class

Welcome to the forums ALE.
I've found some great info and help here. I have a 73 Mercruiser with a 250 L6 GM engine like your's. Mine is in fine shape and hopefully I can help too.

I use a Seloc manual and don't find any major contradictions with the original "owners" manual's info for this particular engine/outdrive combination. My original manual calls for idle rpms to be 500-600 when the Seloc says 600-750 or so but I can check it again if you want. Mine also idles pretty much the same thing in or out of the water.

You adjust final idle speed with the Idle stop screw but you should make sure your ignition point settings, advance timing and idle mixtures are correct first. Mixture screws, if using a Rochester 2GC carb should be initially adjusted 1 1/4 - 1 1/2 turns out from *lightly* seated position. Ignition timing advance should be set with the idle below 600 rpms at 6' BTDC. I'm running a pertronix ignition so points and condenser are no longer a problem.

Tell us about your boat. :)

ALE

Recruit

Hello

Bill, I have to get my timeing light and engine anylizer back next weekend and then I will check my timeing, dwell, etc. I want to look into the pointless ignition thing also. What part no. did you get and where??

Haut Medoc, after greasing every zerk I could find on the outdrive the up/down play went away. Still a tiny bit of side to side but it's only about a 32nd, barely detectable. I guess it was just play in dry bearings.

About the boat, it's a Reinell model 2231 late 70's. Not sure of excact year. Two owners before me. It's got a nice size cuddy up front. Nice and roomy. Porta potty.
Aft stb side is a ice box , 2 burner range, small sink and cabinets. Helm and passenger seats have storage / cabinets underneath. Two jump seats out back. A couple of mounts for pedastal seats in cockpit but that really reduces fishing room if they are in. Even without, with that huge engine cover box, there aint a whole lot of fishhing room but it'll do. I think it will fish 3-4 adults comfortably. It's more a delta/bay boat than an offshore boat but offshore it's a going when it's ready. Just coastal and out to the Farrallon Islands which the previous owner did all the time and said no probs at all.

I'm going to keep trying ebay for awhile but if that fails, I will get a selco.

Thanks for info.

Al