repowering an 87 OMC powered boat with a Volvo

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
I suppose this question has been asked many times.

In a year or 2 I am either going to completely rebuild my 460 Ford engine and stay with the OMC King Cobra or I'll repower the boat with a Volvo sterndrive.

Can someone tell me what changes would be required in the transom mounting and engine mounts so I could install a new Volvo 8.2L EFI V-8, Volvo transom assy, and out drive? ( I seem to remember some sort of Volvo kit when replacing an older NON SX type Cobra.?)

Thanks,

Rick

Boatin Bob

Lieutenant Commander
Re: repowering an 87 OMC powered boat with a Volvo

Don S is your man...he's done this before!

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

What I'm really interested in is how much modification is required in the existing holes where the Volvo transom will go. I know that, If I want to use a Mercruiser I will have to get some sort of adapter plate or do a LOT of fiberglass work. I seem to remember the newer Volvo transoms will install where an older Cobra transom was installed with minimal modification to the transom area.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

About the only thing you will have to do to the transom cutout is to add 2 holes above the cutout. These holes are not on the Cobra's as I recall. If they are, then no problem. They will line up.
All the big block engines require 8 transom shield studs. The small block engines only use 6.
The other thing is they haven't used the 8.2 for years. Now, the 8.1 is the big game in bigblock engines with MPI.
This year, Volvo is also in the process of dropping the DP-S and SX drive that could be adapted (with a Volvo kit) to be used on the OMC Cobra transom shields. It will still take the same cutout in the transom, but the shield, trim, drive, pivot housing, everything is going to be different. Anything OMC will be GONE.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Hi Don,

When you say "Kit that could be used with the Cobra" I take that to mean one like mine that is quite different from the newer SX models?

I'm assuming that one would not need a kit to adapt newer Cobras since they are literally the same as those years Volvos.

If I decide to make this switch.......I of course, WANT everything OMC to be gone.

Is there a NON-Duoprop outdrive that works with a Big Block or is it only workable with a DP ?

Thanks for the info. It appears that a Volvo will be the best and easiest choice.

Don said:
About the only thing you will have to do to the transom cutout is to add 2 holes above the cutout. These holes are not on the Cobra's as I recall. If they are, then no problem. They will line up.
All the big block engines require 8 transom shield studs. The small block engines only use 6.
The other thing is they haven't used the 8.2 for years. Now, the 8.1 is the big game in bigblock engines with MPI.
This year, Volvo is also in the process of dropping the DP-S and SX drive that could be adapted (with a Volvo kit) to be used on the OMC Cobra transom shields. It will still take the same cutout in the transom, but the shield, trim, drive, pivot housing, everything is going to be different. Anything OMC will be GONE.