Is this the dumbest scam you've ever seen?

BRG25

Chief Petty Officer
I normally don't even read this crap but I almost snorted my coffee when I read this. :)

PRIVATE AND URGENT

ATTN. MANAGING DIRECTOR,

I am contacting you in regards to a business transfer of a huge sum of money from a deceased account. Though I know that a transaction of this magnitude will make any one apprehensive and worried, but I am assuring you that all will be well at the end of the day.

PROPOSITION: I discovered an abandoned sum of $11,000,000.00 (Eleven Million Dollars) in an account that belongs to one of our foreign customers who died along with his entire family. Since his death, none of his next-of-kin or relations has come forward to lay claims to this money as the heir. We cannot release the fund from his account unless someone applies for claim as the next-of-kin to the deceased as indicated in our banking guide lines.

Upon this discovery, I now seek your permission to have you stand as a next of kin to the deceased as all documentations will be carefully worked out by us for the funds(US$11,000,000.00) to be released in your favor as the beneficiary's next of kin. It may interest you to note that I have secured from the probate an order of mandamus to locate any of deceased beneficiaries. Please acknowledge receipt of this message in acceptance of our mutual business endeavor by furnishing me with the following

1. Beneficiary name and address.

2. Direct Telephone and fax numbers.

These requirements will enable us file a letter of claim to the appropriate departments for necessary approvals in your favor before the transfer can be made. We are going to share the total sum on final conclusion of this project, and I will like to invest in your country. If this proposal is acceptable by you, do not take undue advantage of the trust we have bestowed on you, I await your urgent mail.
Regards,
Mr. MARK COLLINS.

NB:
Please if you are interested with the deal, kindly respond back with your full name and address, fax/phone numbers, to enable us proceed immediately without any delay.

danpemby

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Is this the dumbest scam you've ever seen?

Maybe but it is also one of the oldest! It has been around a very long time, do you know why? Because there are dumb, greedy people still falling for it.

It is known as the the Nigeran 419 scam and has been going on since the 80's.

http://home.rica.net/alphae/419coal/

85 of all internet fraud reported include this one. That is third on the list behind Internet auctions, and general merchandise transactions.

It is sad to know that greed still overrules common sense in todays world.
:'(

Mike722

Petty Officer 1st Class

We get about one per month over our fax machine. Readers Digest had an article earlier this summer about how people are still losing money on this type of scam.

BRG25

Chief Petty Officer

:^ Wow! You even know the name of the scam. I'm impressed! :^

danpemby

Chief Petty Officer

It really is scarey if you research this scam. Once someone bites, then figures out they have been scammed and try to stop, people show up at their door demanding they continue the funds.

Our government sya there is nothig the can do to get the money back or even stop it, I agree with not being ablr to retrieve lost funds, but there are certainly ways to stop it IMHO.
One cut them off the internet. Not the scammers, the entire country! Seems drastic huh? yes but that is what it is going to take drastic measures. Their government wont do anything about it until something happens like that.

Ok i know that some other group will pick it up but as a international society we need to start somewhere.
Thats my rant and i am sticking to it.

tommays

Admiral

It would only be better if it was from a wonderfull man from nigeria :)

Tommays

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

If I lose any more relatives in Nigeria, I may have to visit there and see who is left.

Ken

txswinner

Banned

I may bite if someone will come to my door. Haven't used my concealed weapon license in a couple of months.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

I still get mugaboo and a few others.
there is also a phone scam going about. I cant remember all the details but its from nigeria and if you accept the call the billing rate is as high as 2500 dollars a min.
the nigerian phone company bills your phone company and they bill you.
perfectly legal and you really have no recourse.
we need to add a global war on scammers.

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander

rodbolt said:
there is also a phone scam going about. I cant remember all the details but its from nigeria and if you accept the call the billing rate is as high as 2500 dollars a min.
the nigerian phone company bills your phone company and they bill you.
perfectly legal and you really have no recourse.
we need to add a global war on scammers.
You can be proactive on this one. As soon as I heard of these kinds of scams (phone), I called Bellsouth and had a third party billing restriction placed on all of my phone lines (home and business). No one can bill anything to my phone accounts.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Diesel outboards have been around for years. Mostly non existent now because of the lack of performance. And they never cost anything like $12,000.

You think its legit?
Go for it.

No photos, no details, no info, no parts available. Heck, this is the only one on the planet according to my web searches.

I'll go buy a new 2005 Merc 2 stroke, and have $10,000 left over for gas.

Let me know how it works out for you.

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander

Huh? I wasn't implying that it was a good deal. Heck, there are a lot of people asking for way too much money on a lot of things, esp. on eBay. But this thread is about scams, not overpricing. Someone thinking something is worth a lot more money than it actually is is not scamming, just hopeful...

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

I believe his ebay identity was stolen, that makes it a scam.

His other items for sale look a bit suspect also, not at all like his previously bought and sold items.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

what? no call for a global war on scammers?
we can add it to poverty,drugs and terror and a few other more minor wars.
as long as its a "war" we dont even need courts and all that legal BS, just bust them,detain them and toss the key.