outboard questions with pics

wvff525

Cadet
Hello, I hope I'm posting this in the right forum. I have a couple questions. I recently got this motor. it is a 1963 mercury 500. This motor runs like a top on the muffs, I have not had it in the water yet to test. I am planning on doing that tomarrow.

While on the muffs I could not see any "tell-tale" stream of water. All the water was coming out through the propeller. Is this normal?

Should this motor have that "tell-tale" stream of water? and where should I look for it at. There are a couple of holes where I think the stream may come from. (see pic below) Hole "A" is a rectangle shaped hole maybe 1" long by 1/4" tall. Hole "B" cannot be seen in the pic but is up under that lip. It is probably 1/4" diameter hole.
obpic.jpg

I have low water pressure at the house and wasn't sure if that is why I was not seeing the "tell-tale" stream or not. Should you always have the "tell-tale" on the muffs? I did not run it long because I got worried when I didn't see it and shut it off.

My second question is: How would I go about painting this motor to make it look better? As you can see from the pics, whoever painted this motor, did a really bad job doing it.

My main concern with sanding, is the dust getting into and harming the motor. Is there some kind of chemical I could put on there and then scrape the paint off? Once I get all the paint off, is there a certain type of paint I should repaint it with?

Originally, this motor was cloud white except for the removable band it was black. I think I might try to restore it to the original colors. Scroll down for more pictures.

IMG_0050.jpg

IMG_0048.jpg

IMG_0044.jpg

Thanks in advance for any help.
wvff525

ricksrster

Commander
Re: outboard questions with pics

Take off the cowl ond look at the block. If there is a tell tale there will be a tube running from the block to the side of the cowling. It exits on the right side of the motor through a little hole.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

When the motor is running on the muffs you should be able to touch the engine head (with the cover off) and be able to hold your hand there for a bit. The tell tale may be plugged when you find it (small black rubber hose that exits the cowl) you can clean it out with a pipe cleaner or replace it with a new piece.

When was the last time the impellar was changed?

You can wet sand the paint and surface safely. Use a zinc chromate primer and then paint.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

You prep and paint just as you would a car. You do not want to remove any of the old factory finish as it is for corrosion protection as well as looks.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Her are my 1987 OMC V4s after painting.

DSCF00051.jpg

Chunder06

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I hope that's the correct prop you have there, it will be fun getting it off if its not.

D

DJ

No telltale on that engine.

You should see some water or spray coming out the exhaust reliefs (top of mid section). If you do not know when the water pump was serviced, you're way overdue.

Don't worry about lightly sanding the engine. Just stuff some rags in the carb intakes. Sand as little of the old finish off as possible. Any bare aluminum spots should be washed with a 50/50 solution of vinegar and water and primed with zinc chromate primer. After that, just prime and paint as you would any other metal.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Nice looking OMC's Solittle. 8)

Mark

wvff525

Cadet

Thanks for the replies. solittle, those look great! I hope I get mine to look that good.

I'm not certain when the impeller was last changed. I was told this motor sat in the garage all last summer, but was ran the summer before that.

I took it out to test Saturday, it started right up and ran fairly well. I didn't keep it out very long because I still didn't see the tell-tale.

I did figure out that hole "A" is where the exhaust exits, but I didn't see or feel any water coming from there.

I could touch the block but it was a bit too warm to hold my hand there longer than 3 seconds.

The prop has some kind of silicone covering the nut. I don't know why, but I figure it will be kind of hard to get the prop off.

I plan to run this motor all next season, so I will pick up a new impeller, some new plugs and wires and work on getting that stuff off the prop nut. Anything else I should look at or replace as general maintence?

Overall, I'm pleased with this motor, especially for it's age. I'm willing to do a little work to it and make it a nice little classic. Thanks for the help.

croSSed

Petty Officer 1st Class

Solittle said:
Her are my 1987 OMC V4s after painting.

DSCF00051.jpg

I've never seen black OMC outboards before. They look good, but what's with the black? You got "Merc envy" or something?

d:):

TG

croSSed

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm willing to do a little work to it and make it a nice little classic.

Cool. I like classic outboards like some like classic cars. I'm a sucker for I-6 Mercs especially. If you want it to be a "classic" find out EXACTLY what the paint scheme for that motor that year was and paint it those colors.

TG

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Go to www.oldmercs.com and you'll find the right color scheme from the factory and some parts to make it new (looking) again. Love those Mercs.