1992 Suzuki DT55

I have read all the forums and need more help please. My DT55 runs great in the driveway with a hose hooked up but when i put it in the water(under load) it refuses to idle and keeps dying when i shift from neutral to forward and reverse.
I had the carbs cleaned by a boat yard and i have new fuel pump.
The engine runs great above 1500 rpm. Checked all fuel lines etc.
Could it be the TPS. I and the teck are at a lost.
Also when i adjust the idle screw i can keep it running above 1200 rpm but if i throttle back below 1100 it seems to not run on all 3 cylinders and dies.
I DO NOT KNOW IF THIS IS RELEVANT BUT WHEN I RUN THE BOAT FOR MORE THAN AN HOUR, THE WATER COMING FROM THE HOLE AT THE SIDE OF THE ENGINE SEEMS TO ALMOST STOP.
Thank you and i hope someone can help

Re: 1992 Suzuki DT55

Hi Frenchy
From the symptom you described it seems to be a fuel problem. I’ve also a 1994 DT55, I’ve a maintenance manual of my previous DT30 that for some aspects is similar and I use it in order to understand characteristics and data. Have you had any warning when problem occurred (i.e. buzzer sound or warning lights on monitor panel)? What do you intend with TPS?
If in your model is installed a Engine Start Ignition Timing Sensor you can check it at 25°C it must have a resistance between 56 and 84 KOhm.
Overheat Sensor is a normally opened switch and, as far I can understand it commutate in closure at 97-103 °C, it opens again when temperature falls at 83-97 °C.
I do not understand when you report “I run the boat for more than an hour”, how can you do this if engine dies putting the shift to forward?
Personally I experienced the tendency to have the water hole at the RH side clogged very easier and sometimes I have to clean it using an electrical wire. But it is only a lack of indication not an engine malfunction evidence.
If it is not your case it can be presumed the presence of a malfunction of the thermostat valve, you can check it in easy way because after engine warm up you have to see water coming out also from the exhaust hole placed in the rear part just below the head. Is the water pump impeller Ok and the relevant key correctly fitted?
Bye

deejaycee_2000

Captain

Time to change your impellar it seems, check the thermostat also, i might be wrong but your engine seem to have the symptoms of one of my old 30hp suzuki's, one of my oil seal on the crank shaft was totally shot .... it didn't wanto idle and ran really rough ..... also you might have a gasket leak somewhere ....

stinger said:
Hi Frenchy
From the symptom you described it seems to be a fuel problem. I’ve also a 1994 DT55, I’ve a maintenance manual of my previous DT30 that for some aspects is similar and I use it in order to understand characteristics and data. Have you had any warning when problem occurred (i.e. buzzer sound or warning lights on monitor panel)? What do you intend with TPS?
If in your model is installed a Engine Start Ignition Timing Sensor you can check it at 25°C it must have a resistance between 56 and 84 KOhm.
Overheat Sensor is a normally opened switch and, as far I can understand it commutate in closure at 97-103 °C, it opens again when temperature falls at 83-97 °C.
I do not understand when you report “I run the boat for more than an hour”, how can you do this if engine dies putting the shift to forward?
Personally I experienced the tendency to have the water hole at the RH side clogged very easier and sometimes I have to clean it using an electrical wire. But it is only a lack of indication not an engine malfunction evidence.
If it is not your case it can be presumed the presence of a malfunction of the thermostat valve, you can check it in easy way because after engine warm up you have to see water coming out also from the exhaust hole placed in the rear part just below the head. Is the water pump impeller Ok and the relevant key correctly fitted?
Bye

Thank you for your reply. TPS means throttle position sensor. The reason for me riding for one hour is that if i keep the rpm above 1500 it runs great. My problem is trying to go slow and try to dock the boat.I do not have a buzzer that is why i thought that the orange/white wire might have been it.

deejaycee_2000 said:
Time to change your impellar it seems, check the thermostat also, i might be wrong but your engine seem to have the symptoms of one of my old 30hp suzuki's, one of my oil seal on the crank shaft was totally shot .... it didn't wanto idle and ran really rough ..... also you might have a gasket leak somewhere ....

Thank you for your reply, If an oil seal would be the problem Would the engine run Fantastic above 1500 rpm without even a little miss? Or would it affect it a higher rpm's. I ordered a new impeller for the water problem. Also it runs great out of the water with a hose attatched to it.