Need a little advice

Hi guys need to see what you guys think I was on a website michiganmotorz.com he is selling brand new 3.0L for 1899.00 that will fit in place of mercruiser or omc pre 1990 which is what I have (89 bayliner
) he also told me if I can find a 3.0 mercuiser pre 1990 it will bolt right into my boat but I have to use my omc manifolds. does that sound right I have a cobra outdrive and he also said if I find a motor after 1990 all I have to do is change flywheel and engine coupler and add electronic ignition. Ithnk if this info is right I can save alot of money buy switching from omc to mercuiser. thanks

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: Need a little advice

Your last line is confusing to me. What do you mean by switching from OMC to Mercruiser is going to save you money? Are you planning on switching drives? That us going to cost you a lot of money!

tommays

Admiral

Any block from the same time frame should take ALL the bolt on parts from the old motor

If you get a NEW block from a time when a change was made you may have problems

Tommays

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,........

The Long Block Assemblies are Chevy built motors........

It's Everything that you Add to the Long Block Assembley that makes it a Mercruiser or an OMC, or a Volvo............

"Ithnk if this info is right I can save alot of money buy switching from omc to mercuiser. thanks"

No,........ You can only inter-change the Chevy part of the motors...........

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Oh..so that was what was being asked...by changing the engine he thought he was going from OMC to Merc!

"I thnk if this info is right I can save alot of money buy switching from omc to mercuiser. thanks"

I can buy a mercuiser motor for about 500.00 dollars and its hard to find a OMC motor for less than a 1000.00 my question is can I unbolt the OMC motor and install a mercuiser motor I know they are both chevy motors but will it bolt up to my cobra outdrive?

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

It will work if you use all your bolt on parts, ie, flywheel housing, coupler, manifold assembly, ignition system, wiring harness, ect, ect.