Winterizing 1988 Mercruiser 4.3LX & Outdrive

imported_boatin clan

Seaman Apprentice
Can anyone help get me details on winterizing our 1988 Mercruiser 4.3LX and outdrive unit? We live in Calif and it does get below freezing for a few weeks during winter. We just bought the boat and we want to get into a habit of doing this right the first time.

The boat did not come with an owners manual, but I figured some of you "old salts" had more than book smarts anyway.

We love the forums and everyone is very helpful.

stevieray

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Winterizing 1988 Mercruiser 4.3LX & Outdrive

That about says it all. One other thing I like to do is cover the carb with a plastic baggie (the heavier ziploc types work well) just to keep any stray drips out of there.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Where in California are you?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I am in the san fernando valley. The reason I ask is because I was wondering if you need to worry about freeze problems. I see you are in the high desert so it may get cold enough to worry about.

imported_boatin clan

Seaman Apprentice

bruceb58 said:
I am in the san fernando valley. The reason I ask is because I was wondering if you need to worry about freeze problems. I see you are in the high desert so it may get cold enough to worry about.

It gets down to the mid teens for several weeks each winter - cold enough to freeze our well 2-3 times each season.