Yellow Jacket Control

tommays

Admiral
In the past i have allways been able to kill the nests one way or another :devil:

Currently i seen to have and HUGE underground one in some small bushes in my front yard that is swarming hundreds of them on warm days

They seem to allmost imune to the sprays and i dont want to burn down the front yard :)

Tommays

Xcusme

Commander
Re: Yellow Jacket Control

This is going to sound nuts, but it works well. I have used a shop vac. I inserted a thin bamboo stake next to the ground nest ( 6" away) I duct taped the nozzle of the shop vac to the stake. The tip of the nozzle was within 2" inches of the ground nest opening. Turn on the shop vac. Bees flying into and out of the nest are sucked up pronto. I found it better to start the vac about 2 hours before sundown. No chemicals, sprays, or flames. I plug the end of the hose and leave the vac in the sun. Bees transpire quickly.

Gone

Petty Officer 1st Class

I used Ortho Wasp Foam last week with great success. The secret is to get the nozzle within a half inch of the opening. To do this, use it a half hour after sundown(all of the bees will be inside too). The foam expands and fills the nest cavity. Worked for me!

CD

woodduck17

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Wait until dark and pour gas down the hole--just a pint or so. This will kill them all. no burning required.

Ron G

Commander

woodduck17 said:
Wait until dark and pour gas down the hole--just a pint or so. This will kill them all. no burning required.
Now weres the fun in thatd:)

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

woodduck17 said:

Kerosene/diesel will do the same thing and less danger from the fumes. Course you're front yard will smell like a truck stop for a couple of days.

tommays

Admiral

On Long Island we like to watch what we dump as we will be drinking it in a few weeks :)

But some good ideas keep them comeing

Thanks

Tommays

Bondo

Staff member

Clorox Bleach will put them Down,.........

Terry Olson

Chief Petty Officer

Not that I have anything constructive to offer but I really like the shop vac idea. A guy could sit around watching that for quite a while before it got old - of course I'm easily amused.

Xcusme

Commander

I must confess that I got quite a chuckle hearing the bees banging off the inside of the corrugated vac hose , finally ending in a solid thump when they slammed into the steel side of the can.

tie_one_on

Petty Officer 1st Class

tommays, go get yourself a bag or container of SEVIN dust. Throw a cup full down the hole. In a day or two they'll all be gone. Been using it for years & haven't come accross a nest or hive it wouldn't eliminate.

CN Spots

Lieutenant Commander

Five gallons of warm, soapy water down the hole at night outta do 'em. Works on wasps, can't imagine a yellow jacket being any more resilient. Something to do with the soap reducing the surface tension on the water and allowing it to flow into the tiny holes in their thorax and drowning them.

A stew pot full of boiling hot water works just as well but is pretty dangerous and should only be attemped by the most inebriated of rednecks.

spots

danpemby

Chief Petty Officer

Beer and boiling water, I could not think of a better Saturday night's entertainment. Ok well maybe a .22 and shooting rats at the city dump but them bullets cost money. :devil:

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I haven't tried this, but I suspect it would work well.

edited, wrong chemical originally listed!
(at night) Pour some calcium carbide in the hole, add water, cover the hole with a bucket, and put some kind of weight on top of bucket for a better seal.

The calcium carbide & water creates acytelyn gas. Very flammable, don't do it while smoking! Some claim this wiill fill mole runs & kill moles. I bet it would do even better on a YJ ground nest.....

OR this might be amusing. Pure speculation, but ya gotta admit it's creative and might be fun:

Anyone know how well those battery powered electric swatters work? If they do fairly well, what if you were to do the following:

1) Make a box (one side open) out of closely spaced wire mesh.

2) Put it over the hole at night and hook it up so you can run a low voltage current through it.

3) Put your lawn chair in a good viewing position.

4) The following morning turn on the electricity,

5) Do something to aggravate the colony. Perhaps a series of queen YJ insults (your queen is so ugly....)?

6) Sit down with a beer & watch the YJs fry themselves against the box as they attempt to swarm out to attack you.

'Course, you might want to find out if underground JY nests have an alternative entrance, and make sure you don't put your lawn chair over it if they do!

ob

Admiral

I'm with tie one on.Sevin dust.They track through it coming in and out and will be gone in no time.Works real good on bumble bees as well.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

The active ingredient in Sevin is parathion,formerly known as rat poison.Although it is biodegradable it is also known to have killed lots of pets.

ob

Admiral

rolmops said:
The active ingredient in Sevin is parathion,formerly known as rat poison.Although it is biodegradable it is also known to have killed lots of pets.

And your point is??

Here are a few other things that have killed lots of pets..
Sago palm nuts
Vehicles in driveways
Yellow jackets
Bees
Hornets
Animal control
Irresponsible pet owners who let their pets run willy nilly through the neiborhoods of America to lick Sevin dust from the ground......................................................

I'd be interested in seeing a comparison as to the number of pet fatalities from Sevin dust vs number of human fatalities due to wasp and bee stings.Or not.

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

ob said:
I'm with tie one on.Sevin dust.They track through it coming in and out and will be gone in no time.Works real good on bumble bees as well.

What about Boric Acid?

I'm pretty sure boric acid would work similarly. It's not a 'poison' per se, so they don't avoid it, readily track through it, and bring it into the colony. Then when they clean themelves off they ingest it and die. I'm pretty sure boric acid is alot safer w.r.t. the environment than insectacides, abd probably cheaper as well. I know it's powerful enough to kill carpenter bees, so I'm sure it would do the trick on YJs.

ob

Admiral

Boric acid may work well too lakelivin.I just haven't personally used it.I have Sevin though on in groud nests, and I know it works.Lot less disruptive of the wasps while putting on this type of insecticide (boric acid powder or sevin)too.Could save a few stings if it were a big hive.Wasps and hornets are crafty creatures when it comes to getting at you in defense of their nest.Be careful no matter what you use.Some fella in Alice Tex lost his life today to bee stings.Seems to happen a couple of times a year down here in south Texas.