First boat, first time putting it on a trailer,Help!

kengladd

Seaman
so I just got a 17 ft. CC outboard and it came with a trailer. The trailer was in pretty sad shape so I put new hubs, bunks a new winch on it and checked all the nuts and bolts and everything else I could think of. Now I want to put the boat on it and I think I have the right idea from watching others at the ramp but was hoping you guys could tell me if I have it right. I back the trailer in straight as close to the ramp as possible. I back it in untill just the bunks are covered with water then with the motor trimmed up some I slowly aim right for the winch and when the boat settles on the bunks I attach the winch and finish pulling it up. Then I trim the motor up and pull out. Then make sure I strap it down before I leave. Is this about right ? I would love some help or comments before I try it. Thanks

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: First boat, first time putting it on a trailer,Help!

if yo don't have self centering keel rollers, you need a spotter to watch and direct you, you don't wnat the drag the hull up a cross member. when ever i load a boat the first time, i do it by hand, and not drive on. this way you can see if everything is lining up right. true you get wet a little, but who wants a scratched hull. ( i use 2 self centering rollers on my trailers, the stearn roller and then the next one up.

Smig

Petty Officer 2nd Class

This may seem obvious, but it wasn't for us at the time - If there is a dock at your ramp and you have a choice, use the up-current/up-wind side. It helps to keep the boat from drifting.

Regarding how far to put the trailer in the water, we had to experiment. The first few outtings it took us 2 or 3 tries to get the boat properly lined up and winched. So give your self time - and try it on a day when the launch is not very busy.

Good luck and have fun!!

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

I'd allow some extra time for tweaking the trailer set-up...in case you want to float it off again and make some adjustments.

The bunks need to extend all the way to the end of the transom, no overhang, it needs the support.

Do you have a tow vehicle capacity well in excess of your estimated weight?

Checked the state regs on trailer brake requirements?

Got your transom saver?

General rule, a tongue-heavy trailer you will feel it shaking the truck; tongue-light will sway a lot; either way, loading the boat just an inch forward or back can make the difference.

Good luck, and don't forget to post your experience over in the Stupid Human Trick section! 8)

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

Don't drive it on the trailer until you have the experiance of how your boat handels and are proficient at it. You will also want to know first, how the boat will load on the trailer, ie. will it self center or not, if it doesn't self center on the trailer you will never be able to power load without risk of damage to the hull.

How deep to back the traile in ? From my experience, a rule of thumb is stop backing the trailer down, when the trailer fenders just submerge under the surface of the water.

heyttown

Chief Petty Officer

Alot of places its illegal to load the boat on the trailer(power load) with the motor....It creates alot of prop wash which they say in turn washes out the dirt/mud/sand and the end of the ramp...Eventually so much dirt/mud/sand gets washed away from under the end of the ramp the concrete will eventually fall apart and break up....The only time I power load is if there is a strong wind/current that would push the boat off the bunks faster then I can winch it up.

kengladd

Seaman

OK i will load the boat by hand, I do not mind getting wet,thats one of the fun parts about all this. I drive a f-150 with a Triton V-8 and a tow package so I do not think towing capacity is an issue. (Is it? the boats only 17 ft. long with a 75 hp Merc) Thanks for all the advise, I'll be sure to let you know how it turns out and take pictures so you can all have a good laugh. One question, after the boat is loaded and centered, thats when I should put on the self centering rollers, one at the back and one toward the front with just enough pressure that they are snug against the keel?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

your self centering rollers should be the back 2 rollers. some say 2 are over kill, but i like them. when you load the boat, the keel will usually hit the 2nd roller first, as the boat moves up the trailer the bow comes up on the rollers, thus changing the center of gravity on the boat, causing the stearn to drop and hit the rear roller. this way both rollers work together to center the boat.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

kengladd said:
...I drive a f-150 with a Triton V-8 and a tow package so I do not think towing capacity is an issue. (Is it? the boats only 17 ft. long with a 75 hp Merc) Thanks for all the advise, I'll be sure to let you know how it turns out and take pictures so you can all have a good laugh.

oh yeah, that'll do 8)

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Outside of the obvious of carrying a spare tire & jack for the trailer it is a good idea to carry chocks for the rear tires of the truck and a long tow chain if your ramp is steep or gets slippery. I have used the chain on a few occasions where the ramp was packed with sea weed and there was little or no traction.