Longevity of premium batteries over good ones.

deeptime

Recruit
What is the verdict out there on battery lifespan, given proper care and maintenance, of a premium priced Optima or Trojan deep cycle batt vs. a good quality other deep cycle batt say an Interstate. Also, anything to the rumors of faster charging times with Optimas? The application is powering a 55# maximizer equipped bow mount trolling motor. I plan to run two or three units in parallel so this is a sizable long term investment. Thanks in advance!

Restored 1985 Cimmaron SS18 with enhanced Indmar Jetpac.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Re: Longevity of premium batteries over good ones.

I currently run a pair of deep cycle batteries for my 12/24 troller but find that I seldom discharge them very much so a pair of starting batteries would do and, I probably could drop my starting battery (currently using 3 total batteries) and just use on of the trollers for no more discharging than I do. That would lighten my boat up 50ish pounds.

I have had lots and lots of different batteries over my life and have spent lots of time trying to answer that question. Haven't had any luck. Still waiting for my Mopar battery to go out in my '98 Dodge.

Mark

Paul Moir

Admiral

Charging time is completely dependant on the charger. That's what's in control. It is possible to charge AGM batteries much faster than a normal flooded deep cycle, but there's really no way to take advantage of that unless you've got a 100 amp or higher charger.

I have to say, from my own experience the new AGM type batteries are really excellent. No mantianance, no leaks, no worries, and they seem to last forever. I guess normally they'll survive about 2x 50% discharges than a normal flooded deep cycle battery.

But if you're going to go premium, you might want to consider Rolls/Surrette batteries. They really are the last word in deep cycle batteries. It's reflected in the price though.

Whatever you do, make sure you never discharge the batteries beyond 50%, and recharge them whenever possible. They'll last far longer that way. And use a good automatic electronic charger.

deeptime

Recruit

Paul said:
Charging time is completely dependant on the charger. That's what's in control. It is possible to charge AGM batteries much faster than a normal flooded deep cycle, but there's really no way to take advantage of that unless you've got a 100 amp or higher charger.

I have to say, from my own experience the new AGM type batteries are really excellent. No mantianance, no leaks, no worries, and they seem to last forever. I guess normally they'll survive about 2x 50% discharges than a normal flooded deep cycle battery.

deeptime

Recruit

By new type AGM, which I assume is a gell cell, are you including the spiral plate Optimas, or AGM cells in general. My charger has a charger mode for AGM/gell as well as deep cycle and regular, but only puts out 20amp.

Paul Moir

Admiral

AGM is not Gel. I wouldn't really bother with gel myself anymore. Just flooded or AGM.

AGM is "absorbed glass mat", and is the new lead acid technology on the block. These batteries have the electrolyte bound up in a fiberglass mat so if you break the case open nothing leaks. They are also (essentially) sealed and can operate in any orientation. They are deep cycle but also can supply high currents so they're great for dual use starting/running batteries. But that's not so important in your case, especially since you're running parallel batteries.

The spiral cell types are a form of AGM, but there are also sandwich construction. I don't think one is necessarily better than the other.

Sounds to me like the charger you've got is the one you want. ;)

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

I have a MinnKota 55PD that is toward the end of its second season on a single "generic" deep cycle battery that runs all day without a hint of giving up. The battery was in my previous boat and served two years there as well. My thoughts are that battery selection, in the end becomes one of economics. One can spend high bucks on a couple (in your case) of high quality batteries and maybe replace them every five years. On the other hand, you can spend considerably less money and get by nearly as long with proper charging. I've never seen a cost/lifespan study done on batteries so buy what you are think is best for your situation and hope for the best.

Paul Moir

Admiral

I've got to agree with Silvertip. You have to consider the underlying economics and conditions. I'm only trying to supply information.

Say they do last the 2x times cycles that they're supposed to. Is it worth that much more money? Is it worth it once you count interest? Money now is worth more than money later. :) Then there's convienence questions and how much they're worth to you. Say a cheapo dies really early for some reason, is that going to ruin your week in the wilderness or can you just pop in to the local Walmart and pick up a replacement? Say your expensive battery is destroyed when your boat gets flooded; wouldn't have made any difference if it was a cheap one.
I'm not trying to push you one way or the other. I just want to illustrate the considerations. It is my opinion though that you should go all one way or the other. Either reasonably cheap or really good.

ZmOz

Captain

I agree that AGM batteries are about the best you can get. I won't use anything other than Hawker AGM batteries now. I bought a truckload of them as new surplus from a cable company, but they're often found on ebay for under $100. Hawker batteries are rated by hawker for 400 complete cycles at 100% discharge, or 500 cycles at 80% discharge. They're also designed for a 10+ year service life. Normal flooded batteries can't touch that.

If you ask Optima for life expectancies like that they probably won't respond, because the numbers are probably embarrasing. I have seen many many optimas fail quicker than a $29.99 store brand battery. They are very picky about how they are charged and discharged. If you get an optima make sure you keep the receipt for your 3 year warranty.

It is interesting to notice that you won't find Optima batteries in any military vehicles, but you will find Hawkers and a few other high end industrial brands. There is a reason for this. Hawkers are also one of the few batteries with no charge current limit. If you happen to have a 1000 amp alternator you can charge it at 1000 amps. Of course a slower charge is always best for any type of battery....

deeptime

Recruit

Well I appreciate all the input, I'm gonna mull this over and research this matter before I need to purchase for some last end of season fishing in mid October. I have been using a single, 1 year old deep/start combo battery rated at 125ah since I got the Minn-Kota 55PD w/Autopilot three weeks ago. But the other day I drained it so deep that it would not turn over the 5.7 liter. I'm trolling diving crankbaits on the fast side, or else trophy browns and bows ignore my offerings. Right now I'm leaning towards twin 225ah deep cycle, flooded type. Similar in cost to a single quality 225ah AGM.
Found a great website for a dicussion on batteries:
http://www.windsun.com/Batteries/Battery_FAQ.htm