overpower your sunbird

jeepboy

Recruit
I have a 1990 spl150 which has a 60hp evenrude and i was thinking of putting a 115 on it. Is there any inplications from doing this? the difference on weight is approx 150lbs.( i swing on the back of my 60 and the transom doesn't appear to move). The sticker says 80Hp max. but that can be removed.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: overpower your sunbird

jeepboy said:
I have a 1990 spl150 which has a 60hp evenrude and i was thinking of putting a 115 on it. Is there any inplications from doing this? the difference on weight is approx 150lbs.( i swing on the back of my 60 and the transom doesn't appear to move). The sticker says 80Hp max. but that can be removed.

Not wise to run more engine than what the Coast Guard sticker says.
You can/would be responsible for any accidents that might happen, if you were at fault or not as soon as they found out you were over powered.

Far as your question goes, I'm sure the boat could handle it just fine, but you need to look at the big picture.
Just my .02 worth, don't want to see anyone get in trouble is all.

jeepboy

Recruit

well my 60hp died so i put a 90hp johnson on, WOW what a difference.
100_1309.jpg

mudd_mickey

Seaman Apprentice

If you're carrying insurance your insurance company won't cover a boat which is powered higher than the USCG stickers states. Other than that my guess would be if the boat holds it you're fine but come accident time a good attorney will own you.

Be careful.