Day off

FLATHEAD

Commander
Went down to the stream fishin this morning and managed a few nice smallies. Wadeing around a bend I spot a Goose laying low on the nest with her eyes locked on the opposite bank, paying no attention at all to me approaching her nest . Then I see what has her attention. A pennsylvania river otter! I have spent countless hours outdoors in PA. and never saw one of these. They are protected in Pa. This dude was a good fisher, he pulled a nice little sucker out, ran it up on the rocks and went back for more. Then he noticed me and ran to his den. Really cool. At least to me it was. The only thing, he was at one of the best holes in the stream pullin out the fish :( The day gets better. After fishin took a ride to my turkey huntin area to glass some fields. Opening day is next week. Low and behold I spot a HUGE eastern gobbler on the edge of a corn field puttin on a show for his girl friend. I figure He should hang in the area for another 5 days.Better tell the wife to get some cranberry sauce ;) All this before noon. Only if every day off could be so nice. Just thought I'd share. :cool:

NOSLEEP

Commander
Re: Day off

Sounds like a great day, better than mine<br />im working. :rolleyes:

muskyone

Master Chief Petty Officer

just got home from mine boat great 30 crappies a bunch of gills and a 3 lb bass on ultra light

crab bait

Captain

YEP,, most days are better than others..<br /><br />thanks for the share... FLATH...

Fishbusters

Ensign

Mine was going almost as well I had some errands to do before going back to work tommorow and I decided to stop and fish a little while. I was using the flyrod to catch some realy pretty bream and an ocasional small bass just a stones throw away from a busy road the other side of some trees. I saw more turtles than I see on a day in the lake and a red bellied watersnake. This si not much but there is a shopping center downstream S=school upstream and housing development behind me. It was not a bad day untill my knee just sort of gave way and folded up on me. I have never had my knee go out like that. I have injured it and it hurts when I do a lot of walking or driving so bad I sometimes have to pop a pill but never has it ever caused me to fall. I still had a great day and although it does not compare to the one above in a way I am glad because it was a small climb up the bank and hobble to the car. Dang it It was still better than the best day I have ever had at work.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Just what is a, "Day Off"??? :confused: <br /><br />Oh, wait.. I get it... :rolleyes: <br /><br />Interesting Idea, this "Day Off"... Might have to try that sometime... :D

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

A day off is when the boss decides to shut down half the plant, and tells you not to come in tomorrow. Oh, but call in just in case we need you. If you don't call in and they needed you, you get a demerit on your attendance record. 9 demerits and you are gone. A demerit for being sick, also for being 5 minutes late-even if you hit a deer on the way to work. I hate working for someone else. Can't wait to work for myself again.<br /><br />I had a day off today too. No fishing tho, had to fix the van.

KennyKenCan

Commander

Hey roscoe,<br /><br />You need to find a better employer.<br /><br />If your employer is going to hold everything against you, even if it is out of your control, then you are beating your head against the wall and probably are going to have a heart attack.<br /><br />There are many employers out there lookin for good people (unless of coarse you are one of the bad people).<br /><br />Don't let your boss hold you in bondage.<br /><br />I would rather be unemployed collecting unemployment compansation than working for an ungrateful employer.<br /><br />It doesn't sound like you have a job, it sounds like legal slavery to me.

Scoop

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Roscoe, is there a way to make back the points. Lets say for not using sick days, for quality work etc? Any employer that does nto keep track of the good things you do yet points out all the bad is not a place I would want to work. Good luck. -Neil

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Each demerit is dropped one year after it is received. But there is no record of good things you do, or favors done for the company. If you don't use your sick days, they are gone. If you use them, you get a demerit. We also run our plant 24/7, we generally work 5 days a week, but not Mon-Fri. We get a different day off every week, and have to work every other weekend.<br /><br />This makes it real tough to not accumulate demerits. If you need a weekend off for a wedding etc., and your vacation is denied, then you have to call in with "car trouble", and take your demerit. If you call in and say you are sick, you MUST produce a signed doctors slip, or you can't come back to work, and you get more demerits. <br /><br />Yeah, they treat us all like little kids. A twenty-something girl was just fired for being late to work, after totalling her car in a deer collision. All of her other demerits were from an ongoing medical treatments due to a bone marrow transplant she had a few years back. Oh, they didn't fire her immediately, they had her work her shift first.<br /><br />The really sad thing is that I work for a huge multi-national corp with the resources to treat everyone fairly. Can you say HUGE food processor, tobacco co, pizza maker, candy maker, pickles, salad dressing, cold cuts, beer breweries, you name it. Oh yeah, CHEESE maker. We produce 340,000 pizzas A DAY at our plant alone. Soon it will increase to 450,000 a day.<br /><br />Well my pension will be vested later this year, and the job search has already started. I want to move 140 miles south to be closer to family, and the sun. Hope to only work part time to allow for my self employment interests to grow.<br /><br />Well I'm rambling again. Time to sleep now.<br /><br />Oh, by the way, I have only 1 demerit, which will expire 2 weeks from now. :)

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

da tomb.<br />What a great company (and product)it was before Kraft and Phillip Morris bought it from the Simek family.

muskyone

Master Chief Petty Officer

my high school girlfriend was related to the famly back in the early 80's i worked for o,m for a year and listen to the old guys complain how much the place went down hill after philip morris bought them and my ex wifes dad's was a vp at kraft i understand your pain

KennyKenCan

Commander

Hey roscoe,<br /><br />You should check the Labor Laws in your state.<br /><br />You could be suprised to find out that what this company is doing to its employees is illegal .<br /><br /> Labor Laws can be found at your local library.<br /><br />If you find any violations, contact a laywer immediatly! (Trust me, the company has laywers, so don't confront them alone.)<br /><br />You can sue the company without retrobution.<br /><br />If they fire you, then you will be able to sue them for your salary for the remainder of your working career ( in other words, the company will have to pay you your salary as if you worked till your 65 years old, including cost of living raises ), and after the law suit is over, quit.<br /><br />In most states, it is illegal for a company not to pay you for unused sick or vacation time that you acrued over the coarse of the fiscal year .<br /><br />But check the Labor Laws first!<br /><br />A company can get away with murder, especially when its employees don't know the laws that were written to protect them from aggressive employers!

NOSLEEP

Commander

Life's to short to put up with that kinda crap.<br />Good luck finding that new job. They are out<br />there! you'll find a much better one soon. :)

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Thanks guys. I know some of the stuff they do won't hold water in court. The trouble is most of the other employees have never worked anywhere else in their life, or are in financial straits. Lots of them have, or are losing the farm, literally. It's sad watching these once proud people walk around with their heads down.<br /><br />Management clams up when a few of us are around, because they know what they say could be used against them. Just biding my time till a few necessities are taken care of. Hopefully it won't be too long.

KennyKenCan

Commander

roscoe,<br /><br />You don't have to have everbody together, this can be done by an individual and everybody will benifit.