Battery issue??

mrbadfish

Seaman Apprentice
After letting my boat sit for about 3 months, I made some needed some repairs and went to crank her up, but noticed that the battery seemed to be kinda weak. Actually it was kinda intermittent. On the first attempt, it would try to crank just fine, and then immediately after, it would really struggle, and seem near dead. If i left and came back about 20 mins later, the same thing would happen, one good solid try, then weak thereafter. I left the battery charger on overnight and tried again today, now it seems to be every other couple fires, it will crank well the first time, then struggle for about 3-4times, then crank solidly. Is this a bad battery, charger, or something different all together?? And if it is something different, what could it be, plugs?? They are fairly new though. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
mrbadfish

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: Battery issue??

Remove, clean thoroughly, then replace all of the cable connections, at the battery terminals, engine ground, solenoid, and starter, everything.

Many times, what you explain, is caused by either loose cable(s), tight but dirty cable connections, or a cable that is failing internally (corrosion).

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Battery issue??

Make sure you check both ends of each cable.