Restoring a Fiberglass Deck

Joe Wood

Recruit
Hi there folks!

Say, I have an old Laser sailboat I'm going to sell. The topside is pretty dirty, with fine cracks, and I was wondering if there's any rub-on product I could use to spruce it up a bit?

This boat was in the film "Tentacles" so it's pretty Special :)

Joe Wood

Recruit
Re: Restoring a Fiberglass Deck

Looks like I'll need to do a little light sanding too since there are some raised rough areas.

Anyone have any advice for me?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

You could use rubbing compound and a variable speed polisher or 3m fiberglass hull restorer. You have alot of buffing ahead of you but, one it shines the cracks will be overlooked.

flashback

Captain

There isn't much you can do with the spider cracks, thats just old age. if you have them all over the deck, then you would need to sand it down to the glass and then spray a new layer of gel on the boat.. a few here and there you can dremel them and fill with filler then gel the effected area. isn't most of the deck non-skid? I worked on several of those years ago but can't remember..IF its "pretty special" why don't you keep it?

strizzy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I am familiar with lasers. With the whole deck being textured, you’re really not going to be able to do much besides rubbing it out.

Best bet: buffer with wool pads, 3M Super Duty Compound for any fading or oxidation,
3M Finesse-It to remove any swirls, wax of your choice (I prefer a product called Tech Shield) with a foam pad (egg crate like texture).