Trial of Combatants

txswinner

Banned
The supreme court ruled Bush's plan to try the bad guys before a military tribunal as unconstitutional so what does he do. Makes big political speech before the nation to get congress to pass an unconsitutional law (Supreme Court does still have that power, I think) so the republican party can look strong against these bad guys.

Total political crap and UNCONSTITUTIONAL, people this guy has stepped on the Constitution enough. I want to see the bad guys hung as bad as the next but this is still a country with a Constitution with 3 branchs not some Arab country where a ruler can do what he wants.

W is wrong again.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral
Re: Trial of Combatants

hey, when you're the king, you can arrest and hold people without trial, authorize torture, listen in on anybody's private phone calls for any reason or no reason.... Those guys got arrested, they must be guilty. Not only that, look at how they dress, you know they're guilty. And they don't even look anything like us. They should be thankful they're getting a trial at all.

txswinner

Banned

Darn right there jtexas. They probably don't even own any cowboy boots either! Hang em high.

Kwas

Petty Officer 1st Class

You two guys are unbelievable!! (no smiley face)

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

Here, you can borrow this one........d:)

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

anyone who doesn't agree with me is a terrorist!!!!

txswinner

Banned

Terrorist are bad no question and deserve the very worst punishment out there. However, we are a people of law and no one person has a right to overrule these laws. This is what America is all about.

What W is pulling here is another abuse of power and it is time to stop this nut. What would you supporters of W think if Ted Kennedy suggested that we not allow the Supreme Court to stand as the law of the land. This is no different and I see them as birds of a feather just with different adgendas.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

You guys would have also voted to impeach FDR too. Think of all the things he did in a time of war.

T-H-I-N-K and dont regurgitate the idiot leftist media.

On the advice from my lawyers I wont say "you dont get it" cause I might offend you.

Ken

txswinner

Banned

You got me again Ken.

Tell me why the President waited several months to go on TV to announce his intentions.

Why does W insist on going to his congress to override a supreme court ruling.

Help me understand why I should not think that W and the boys do not think they are rulers rather than servers.

You are right, I don't get it!!!

bekosh

Lieutenant

txswinner said:
The supreme court ruled Bush's plan to try the bad guys before a military tribunal as unconstitutional so what does he do. Makes big political speech before the nation to get congress to pass an unconsitutional law (Supreme Court does still have that power, I think) so the republican party can look strong against these bad guys.

Total political crap and UNCONSTITUTIONAL, people this guy has stepped on the Constitution enough. I want to see the bad guys hung as bad as the next but this is still a country with a Constitution with 3 branchs not some Arab country where a ruler can do what he wants.

W is wrong again.

WTF is UNCONSTITUTIONAL about it?? The USSC ruled that the trials couldn't be held without authorization from congress. So now he's going to congress for the authorization. Is there anything GWB could do that you wouldn't b-tch about?

As far as the republican's looking strong against the bad guys, somebody has to. The F--KING demoRATs just want to give up and run away. angry

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Times of war require some temporary loss of freedoms so that long term freedoms can be maintained.

I trust my president, you dont. It is as simple as that.

Arguing on a message board wont do a darn thing. Again, I suggest to you to take up your arms and create an uprising to oust this new dictator of the USA that you believe exisits.

Otherwise....

Ken

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Give up your freedom while we are at war. We'll be at war until there are no more terrorists. Trust your government, don't think for yourselves. Your government knows best.

Anyone who disagrees with GWB is a left wing leftist terrorist nut case. Because, of course, GWB is the government, and the government knows best. You can't be a republican and disagree with GWB. Not allowed.

Don't worry, soon as the last terrorist is dead, you'll get your freedom back. Trust me.

I don't have any reason for thinking that way, other than that's what they told me to think...I don't need 'em. Because all those who disagree with me are just a bunch of "F--KING demoRATs".

PW2

Commander

What the court ruled unconstitutional was trials without input from congress.

I'm glad to see W finally seeming to accept the limits of his power, and involve Congress in this, however begrudgingly it was accomplished.

We are, after all a nation of laws, and we ultimately need some sort of framework to enforce those laws that upholds the constitution at the same time. That is the complaint that most had with what W was attempting to do, and I am glad he has finally chosen to see the light.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

Well I think that if you can have secret prisons, then you should be able to have secret courtrooms, too....JMHO :).....JK

txswinner

Banned

PW2, Why would not our State and Federal criminal system not be applicable in this matter. You do not have to be a US citizen to be tried in our court system.

The acts committed were against the citizens of this country even if by those outside this country often fall into the hands of our court system. I do not understand why a separate method is needed now.

This I ask sincerely and look forward to the explanation.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Don't understand your logic, guys.

USSC says he has to do this first, so he is doing it. How is that unconstitutional? He says that USSC is the interpreter of law and he will comply.

Or is there no logic except vicious attacks on my President, no matter the facts?

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Liberals dont need logic. They use feelings to guide them.

I feel GWB is evil, therefore GWB is evil.

Or this could be just another one of txwinners trolls just to rile us up.

Ken

PW2

Commander

I don't really see a problem with the prisons they were held in per se, although I don't understand the need for all the secrecy about their very existence. It is natural to assume that something unsavory is happening if there is a such a dramatic insistence that they don't even exist. Authoritarian regimes often operate in secrecy--Democratic regimes operate in the open.

But they were captured on foreign soil as enemy combatants, and it becomes a difficult legal problem how precisely to deal with them. The normal legal system requires a full airing of all evidence against the perps, and for them to face their accusers.

I'm not sure that is practical in these cases, where intelligence needs to be kept classified. I'm not pretending to know what the rules should be exactly, other than there should be rules involved, and the congress, the USSC, and the justice dept should have significant impact, and these rules need to be as transparent as possible.

These people are accused of heinous crimes, and need to be held accountable if guilty. Incarceration indefinitely with no charges being filed and no recourse for redress is unacceptable.