HURRICANE DECK BOAT

rburtonrmx

Cadet
i just bought a 2006 Hurricane sd217 deck boat. it has the volvo 5.0 GXI SX Drive. i have an 14.75 x 19 pitch stainless steel prop runs about 44-4500 rpm at wot. with 4 adults and two very small children full of gas . boat wouldnt plane out till two of the adults moved to the bow area. not real sure about prop basics more pitch =pull harder therefore plane quicker or vice versa?? should i use a whale tale/ stingray tail. or look into trim tabs?
thanks in advance

Ron G

Commander
Re: HURRICANE DECK BOAT

What kind of prop is on there now.pitch?3 blade or 4 blade?

Crownie2

Petty Officer 1st Class

Seems to me that with that engine and prop, the boat shouldn't have any problem getting on plane.

Do you have the drive trimmed all the way in??

Any added weight that you can move forward?

Bob

rburtonrmx

Cadet

14.75 x 19 stainless 3 blade not really any added weight just the gas.

Ron G

Commander

i really thought the 19 would get ya up a going pretty easily...we may want to check and see how much prop slip your getting.and the engine is healthy right??
must be a real heavy boat.do a search on trim tabs theres tons of good threads.they seem to work very well on most boats.

Crownie2

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you bought it from a dealer, go back and discuss it with him.

If you are sure the engine performance is good, you could always go to an 18" or 17" SS prop because you do have a bit more RPMs to go before you are out of the recommended range, which tops out at 5,000 for that engine. In fact, I think that would be a wise move because 4,500 is really a little low.

Good Luck and let us know how you make out!

Bob

walleyehed

Admiral

Let's take a look at the Manufacture and model of prop...maybe we have a Bow-lifter on a stern-heavy boat?
Let's figure out "which" SS prop you have before we go recommending a different pitch. Dealers are notorious for mis-matching props on a daily Basis...
Too many people assume an SS prop is an SS prop is an SS prop, etc....It don't work that way...

rburtonrmx

Cadet

hmm all it sways on the prop is Volvo Penta?? dealer has suggested we try a 17 pitch prop so ill let you all know what happens .. thanks for all the input ..

rburtonrmx

Cadet

tried the 17 pitch pro works great 45 mph @ 5000rpm wot and planes fine with 6 adults on board
thanks for all the input

walleyehed

Admiral

In the case of the Volvo, until very recently, there hasn't been much choice for Prop types....In your case, the dealer done you well. It would be nice if all were this simple and we could just drop a step or jump up a step and fix the problem....A+ to your dealer.